This Disappears When Logged In

What Type of Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by Dragoness, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I know that most of the lampropeltid snakes can hybridize with a certain amount of ease, and it's a common practice. I had my mind set on a sinaloan, and when i finally got the enclosure set up, not a one was to be found, so I settle on a similar looking snake that was sold to me as a "Jurassic milk" Upon trying to find out exactly what this little guy was, I found one remark on a web site that did not seem very reputable, claiming the snake was half Florida king, and half Honduran milk. I wouldn't call the source reliable. Wonder if anyone can hazard a guess? I'm not particularly concerned about it as much as I am curious. I have no interests in attempting to breed him.
    [​IMG]

2. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

I've always thought they were part florida king, california king, and part milksnake, not sure which subspecies. There is someone on the forum with a jurassic milk, hopefully he'll come and shed some light on this.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I was unable to find any info from what I would call a reliable source. I have no critical need to know, other than to satisfy my own curiosity. That, and when people ask me what kind it is, I'd like to have an answer other than "some kind of hybrid lamropeltid"

Wonder if his looks anything like mine. I'm not sure there is any surefire way of determining it just by looking, as so many of them look so similar, which is why I got him to begin with - I wanted a sinaloan, nobody had one, but he was just so darn cute, and I had a setup ready and waiting. what can i say, I'm an impatient person.

4. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

I remember it's the pueblan milk snake I believe. To be honest his doesn't look anything like yours but from what I've noticed no two hybrids look the same, this is because with hybrid offspring you don't know what genes are going to pop up where. Some might look more king, others may look more milk, it's luck of the draw.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I know next to nothing about hybrids, other than that they exist. Never had as much interest in Colubrids as I did in Boiids. (1 colubrid in my collection, 7 boiids.) Identifying him may be a hopeless case unless I'm desperate enough for some type of genetic testing (which I'm not.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.