This Disappears When Logged In

What to Put in a 55 Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by redtailgal, Dec 2, 2011.

1. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

I have a tank that measures 4 feet long, 2 feet tall, and 1 foot deep. Hopefully it will be empty soon (Putting iguana in larger enclosure).

When Elroy decides that he will leave his tank (its in the enclosure right now, long story), I will have a lonely empty tank that NEEDS a friend.

Here is what I want:

something that will fit in this tank as a PERMANENT home, I dont want to have to build something bigger later.

I dont really want to worry with keeping humidity up. I'd love Hermit crabs, but they need a high humidity dont they?

I will be able to maintain heat and UVB.

I dont want something that is very difficult to handle, so something that is not as aggresive as an Ig.

I'd love to consider lizards (nothing tiny though) or snakes.

What say ye?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I assume we are talking 55 gal aquarium?
    If you can find them Giant frog eye geckos are awesome. (Teratoscincus scincus keyserlingii)

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I have a 55 gallon tank with the same dimensions, however, it's been converted to a vertical enclosure. I have been trying to decide what to put in it for a while too :)

I've been thinking maybe a large gecko. Maybe a gecko would be a good choice for you! Some don't require real high humidity (if any at all) or really high temps.

4. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

A ball python would do very well in enclosures that size its entire life. Gorgeous, friendly snakes.

5. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

Hmmm, a ball python. I've never kept an already healthy snake. Might be a good experience.

I have had three rescue Balls in my lifetime, they were all dehydrated and sickly.....and rather snarky. I'll have to look into that.
    thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

6. hennisntacanibal

My bp is the calmest, sweetest thing and has been since I got him. And keeping a healthy one would be a nice change, I think! :)

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

As for humidity issues, you could just make a custom top from wood or plexiglass, have done this myself (and need to again, lol).
    As for what to put in, a mating pair of sand boas of some sort come to mind in addition to what others have mentioned. I know some don't like to house multiple animals together though.
    Good luck getting Elroy out of that tank, he'll get sick of it eventually with all that other larger space he has now.

8. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

get leos they dont get real big and you cound have a few in a 55

9. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Leopard geckos, giant day geckos, crocodile skink......

10. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

I do like sand boas..............but no mating. No babies for me. UH HUH! NO way! I just got my real kids raised, I'm not starting over now! lol

Phychosis when you said Leos, were you referring to leopard geckos?

I am assuming that the tank size is too small for a bearded dragon? I have always loved beardieds, a friend has a breeding pair that I would love to get an offspring of. But I dont think that tank is big enough for them to be comfortable. And does anyone else of here have an iguana AND a beardie?

Do you handle it ok, no twitches developing or urges to run from the house screaming obscenities?

Snakes I can handle, dont it for years. Lizards fascinate me, though, and I would enjoy learning about them,

11. hennisntacanibal

A 55g is just a little narrow for an adult bearded dragon, but as long as you don't keep them in the same room you shouldn't have any issues having both Elroy and a beardie, even if it is male. My first reptile was a bearded dragon. He hooked me from the get, and up until very recently was a free-roamer who slept next to me on my pillow every night.

12. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

Well, I would love to have a beardie. The two that my friend has are wonderful and very sweet. They are both "cuddlers" or as much of a cuddler as you can get from a reptile anyway.

I dont have room for another large enclosure, so if the 55 gallont tank is too small for the beardie, then I guess I will have to figure out a plan B.

13. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I know I want to use my spare 55 gallon tank as an axolotl tank! A_mexicanum1LITTLE.jpg

Attached Files:

14. Flint

Flint Elite Member

While it seems a little narrow, I think if properly set-up you could make an Irian Jaya Carpet Python pretty happy in there. They are partially arboreal, so to make up for the narrowness you would need plenty of sturdy climbing branches. My Jungle Carpet very rarely is on the ground, he likes to be up high. He is happy in a 4'x2'x2' cage, and Jungle carpets are bigger than IJ Carpets.

15. hennisntacanibal

I had my adult male in a 55G till I did some rearranging and he seemed to like it fine. Plus if you get a baby it'll be a while before it outgrows the tank, if ever. I absolutely love love bearded dragons and would have five times the amount I have if I had the room and the time.

16. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

yeah i was refering to leopard geckos you coulnd prolly keep 3 females and a male in there or just one if you like lizards look into basilisks or leos or for somethingelse mud turtles or spotted turtles they are kinda pricy but gorgeous turtles and pretty hardy from what ive read

17. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Oh my gosh!!! Axolotls are the best! I have two and they can differentiate between me, my boyfriend, and others who stop by!

Attached Files:

18. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

Axolotls are cool looking, but I dont do well with maintaining water filled tanks.

I dont know, I'd really like a beardie. But I think I'd end up wishing I had a bigger enclosure for it.

Do the Geckos get friendly enough to handle? Can they be taken out and interacted with? Or are they a stay in the tank and look pretty sort of thing?

19. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

My leopard geckos are great. They are easy to handle, and friendly. I play with mine often, and they like to hang out.

Crested geckos make great pets, too, but it can be hit or miss with handleability. Some are really flighty (and they can jump!!!) and some are really people friendly and will hang out for hours.

20. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

Well, right now I am torn between a leopard gecko (or two, lol) and a corn snake. Hubby likes the looks of corn snakes, and since he has been so nice about tolerating my new attack trainged iguana, maybe I should consider him on this.

I can always add a tank later for a beardie......

See, my son is growing up. He will be moving out within the next couple years, and I will have this lonely empty room. I will *need* to put something in there to ease my aching heart. How many reptiles will it take? lol