This Disappears When Logged In

What to Feed Superworms????

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by mld, Jul 19, 2010.

1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Ran out of crickets, so I bought some superworms. Boy they are expensive little buggers. So what do I feed them?

2. ChrisS

ChrisS Elite Member

I set mine up with oats and fish food and put carrots in for water.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I fed mine collard greens, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc...

4. mld

Thanks, that's what I'll feed them. Now what about bedding or substrate, earlier I just put some wheat bran in with them and put some carrots on top. They seem really hungry when I put it in with them they latched right on to the carrots and when I tried to take some out to feed my Bearded Dragon they wouldn't let go of the carrots. It was like a dozen of puppies trying to feed all at once on the mother.
    What's the best substrate, I have about 75 of them???

5. ChrisS

ChrisS Elite Member

superwormbeetle.jpg

This is my set up (welll actually my superworm beetle set up). I'm out of superworms so I thought I'd show you this. The beetles don't get fish food and I have some paper towel tubes I keep in there (took them out for this pic). But the set up is otherewise the same.

Attached Files:

6. mld

ChrisS
    So the oats are used for substrate as well as food??

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

8. mld

Yes, I was looking at your set up, sound like it would be worth a try.
    I keep hearing different things, some people say that supers are not very healthy ( that they are like mealworm) and others say that they are better than mealworms. What do you think about this, They are for my bearded dragon.
    Thanks for your help

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

they are perfectly fine to feed to your beardie. People think the exo-skeleton is too tough and will cause impaction. This is false, as long as your beardie has the proper basking temps.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

with most animals, variety is best. I would not advise feeding only one prey item to an animal unless it was specialized to eat only that.

11. ChrisS

ChrisS Elite Member

Yes I use the oats as food and substrate.

12. mld

I usually feed crickets and mealworms, ran out of crickets, they won't be here till wed/thurs. So I picked up these these guys for now, he's loving them though, but yes I will do the crickets also. I would do those FRC if I was allowed, but hubby won't allow it.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

FRC are so much better than their chirping counterparts. and they stink less.

For short period, single food items is fine. It's in the long run when you will run into potential problems.

14. mld

Thanks for the info, Still wish those FRC were allowed in my neck of the woods, a few people around here using them but they keep it quiet.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Are they not legal where you live? Most species of them are not legal in my state either. I breed the one species that is though. I had a heck of a time finding a breeder that would even ship them!

Well, supers work great, and most of my herps will take them. My CWD seems to prefer them over all else.