This Disappears When Logged In

What to Expect?

Discussion in 'Shows and Expos' started by dduthie, Jun 7, 2010.

1. dduthie

dduthie Active Member

Hey everyone,
    I have never been to a reptile show befor and was wondering what I should expect? Will the prices be jacked up?

Thanks,
    dduthie

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm wondering the same question, the one nearest to me isn't until September. look forward to members responses.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

usually the prices are lower than the pet stores, and the animals healthier.... USUALLY. Do pay attention to shop around. The variety is always great.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

In my experience the Reptile Expo's prices are always considerably cheaper than the pet shop. If you consider that some of these folks are the ones who supply the petshops. and you don't have the store's markup on them.
    I routinely see animals at half or less than the pet shop.

5. tsuch21

tsuch21 Elite Member

Yea. Ive been to 2 reptile shows and they both had such a great variety of everything you could hope for. Prices were great and so were the reptiles. Very fun and full of people. Fun to go even if you leave empty handed [which is very very hard to do] =)

6. Medium

Medium Elite Member

I have finally been to an expo, (show) it was the greatest experience I have had while checking out and learning my local breeders! I agree, I found prices way lower then a pet shop...I did not find anyone out to rip buyer's off at all! Great place to go!

7. dduthie

dduthie Active Member

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to go. I am going this saturday to one at the Tampa Fairgrounds. I won't be coming back empty handed ;)

8. Medium

Medium Elite Member

That is today right? Let us know what you get :)

9. dduthie

dduthie Active Member

I went to the exbo and it was awesome!! It was so much better than I expected! I picked up a pair of Apricot Pueblan Milks and a pair of Cali Kings, The pair of milks was $50 and the pair of kings was $45. At least Half of what some petstores were selling for. I can't wait to go again!

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Glad to hear that you got lucky. Wow, I can't wait to go, mind you Atlantic Canada's Expo is very small in comparison to yours I'm sure. Don't forget to post the pics of your newest additions. :D

11. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

i think they are awesome. You can go and shop or just look around at all the wierd and beautiful creatures that they have for sael. the prices are usually cheaper since theyre the ones breading them directly.

12. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Nicely done! That is 4 snakes for less then 100.00, can't do that at any pet shop!

Cool!

13. okiron

okiron Elite Member

Well this is a month old thread but I feel silly making a new one so hopefully if I ask my questions here someone will see it.

I want to go to the Reptile Super Show in Pomona, CA and it says $12 adults, $8 children 12 and under. Does that mean I'll have to pay $8 for my 18 month old? Also, should I take cash or do most vendors accept credit/debit?

14. ChrisS

ChrisS Elite Member

Take cash. The show I went to none of the vendors took anything but cash.

15. okiron

okiron Elite Member

Thanks! Definitely good to know.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Most shows I have been to don't charge for babies in your arms,...but you never know.
    Larger vendors such as businesses, are usually set up for credit cards but the smaller guys usually require cash.

17. okiron

okiron Elite Member

Yeah, I'm so used to children under 2 being free so I just wanted to double check.

18. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Even though a lot of the places will now accept credit cards (or the location will at least have an ATM on site) Several others will not and you must have cash..
    Normally infants won't be charged, but in all honesty, I can see some shows still attempting to charge.....(another thing to keep in mind is that some of the shows will give discount pricing if you pay in advance, and then all you need to do is show ID to enter).....While each show is different, considering the location/area of the one you are referring to, I would think that no one will be disappointed to attend it.
    The only sure bet in order to find out about the pricing or access to ATMS is to call or send an e-mail to the person listed on the website or flyer and ask.

19. rene13c

rene13c Member

I'm going to my first Reptile expo/show this August 8!!
    Reptile Super Show here i come! :D