This Disappears When Logged In

What to Do with Crickets That Are Too Big

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by BrownFoundling, Oct 3, 2014.

1. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

The crickets I have to feed my very young brown anole are growing faster than he is so I have about a dozen or so that are now too big for him to eat. What should I do with them? I suppose I could separate them out into some other container and try setting up a small breeding colony, but if I do that I foresee myself sooner or later having far more crickets than one little anole can eat.

It starts to feel like the beginning of the kids' book, _If You Give a Mouse a Cookie_. First there is the baby anole. Then there are the crickets, but they get too big so you breed them to get more small crickets. But then you have too many crickets, so you get another anole to help eat the crickets. It has to be a female because the first one is male so sooner or later there will be more baby anoles.

2. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Welcome to the hobby! That is pretty much the way it goes!

Seriously tho, I would try and breed them to see if I couldn't save some time and money buying crickets. Crickets tend not to live for long anyways, so even if it doesnt work they'll die off fairly soon.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

4. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

Can somebody give me an idea of what "large" and "medium" storage containers are as far as size? If large means the largest size you can get that will take up a *lot* of space. I know because I use two of them as litter boxes for our cats and they take up about a third of the available floor space in the laundry room.. Our maine coon would pee over the side of even the large litter boxes because she was so big.

What is the smallest you think I can get away with since I will only want a small colony. Either dimensions or quart size works. Would the vibrations from a washing machine or dryer running adversely affect the crickets? I'm thinking that I could put the breeding setup on top of the machines as they are both front loading. That would put the cricket noise as far from the living area of the house as I can without putting them out in the garage where heating would be an issue during the winter.