This Disappears When Logged In

What to Believe

Discussion in 'Heating' started by heyike, Sep 28, 2012.

1. heyike

heyike Member

What form of thermometer do you prefer to use for adjusting heating temps. I"m getting different reading from different types of thermometers and was looking for some input on which to trust. I have two Zila thermostats inside the viv (one on cold side, one on hot side). When I use the ambient reading on my ir gun (Zoo Med rt-1) I'm getting different readings compared to the digital thermostats as much as 15 degrees on the warm side. Which really doesn't make any sense because the higher reading is coming from the digital thermometer and the lead is in the shade on the warm side.

2. justor

justor Elite Member

IR guns don't measure ambient temps, they measure surface temps of whatever they are pointed at. The stick on thermometers measure ambient temps. If the temp gun is reading higher than the zilla thermometers on the warm side that sounds completely normal to me since the surface temp at your basking site should be higher than the air temp.

And FYI thermoMETERS measure temperatures, thermoSTATS control temperatures.

3. justor

justor Elite Member

Actually, I think I'm having trouble understanding the last sentence in your post. Aren't all your instruments digital or are the zilla ones analog? Could you provide a photo of the enclosure as well as actual temps as measured by your zilla thermometers, and the basking temp measured with your IR gun?

4. heyike

heyike Member

lol...bit of a brain fart with the thermostat thing. Yes, all my thermometers are digital, and according to user instructions that came with the IR gun, it reads ambient temps during standby. The higher reading I am getting is on the digital thermostat mounted in the enclosure. The ambient temp reading on the IR gun is the one that is lower. I will post some pics tomorrow, lights have been out since 7. Thanks

5. justor

justor Elite Member

Have you tried leaving the temp gun in the enclosure for a few minutes before checking the reading? You would have to put it in the same place as your other thermometer or somewhere of similar distance from the heat source.