This Disappears When Logged In

What Strength UV Bulb?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by elmorelc, Nov 7, 2009.

1. elmorelc

elmorelc New Member

Hello everyone. I know that kingsnakes don't need a UV bulb, but I would like to get my eastern kingsnake one...just to give him more natural light. I've been looking at the Reptisun bulbs by Zoo Med. I noticed the Reptisun 5 bulbs are supposed to be used no further than about 13 inches from the reptiles basking spot. Will this be okay to use for a tank that is 17 inches tall (any benefit from the light at all?), or should I get the Reptisun 10 bulb that covers a greater distance. I don't want my snake to get too much UVB, but if none is reaching the snake, that'll be no good either.

Thanks,

Larry

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Larry, the best for lighting only would be a "Repti-sun" 2-0 flourescent tube (or similar), they have a colour temp of 6,200k which is close to natural daylight, but low in UVB.

3. elmorelc

elmorelc New Member

Would there be any UVB getting to the snake if I use the Reptisun 2.0? I'd like for him to get some UVB...just don't want to over do it. I'm trying to bring in a little more of what he'd experience outside.

Thanks for your reply.

--Larry

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If there is any cage furniture that allows the snake to come within 12 inches of the light, then yes, there would be low level UV exposure.