This Disappears When Logged In

What sort of beetle is this?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by BlackJack, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Martin took a picture of this bug on the ground at the zoo (not a display animal) Any clues as to what it is? I think it looks cool (for a bug).

[​IMG]

2. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

looks like a june bug or a japanese beetle, but don't hold me to it. Japanese beetles swarm around my area every summer, they eat up the garden and you can't go outisde at times without being run into by beetles in a hurry. There are now traps that you can purchase that uses the scent of a lustful beetle, to lure the others into a bag where they can't get out of, and meet their doom. June bugs are a litrle bit bigger and they don't usually cause quite as much of a problem. Again, i could be wrong, but that is just kinda what it looks like.

3. BlackJack

Thanks, I'm not a bug person AT ALL, but I almost picked this up, because it looked like a piece of gold jewelry lying on the ground! Boy did I jump back fast!!!

It reminds me of the beetles that represented good luck in ancient Egypt. I bought a bunch of those turquoise beetles as souveniers for my friends and family.

4. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

lol, i just thought of something.....k, so ur at the zoo, and everyone else is taking pix of the animals and stuff, then, their's you, taking a picture of a beetle on the ground! LMAO!!!!!!! haha, lol sry, i had to say that. It's funny. Oh well, i'd probably do something like that too. I take pictures of the plants and stuff :p

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It is neither Junebug nor Japanese beetle. It appears to be one of the scarab family, possibly a dung beetle.

6. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

LOL! It's a funny picture in my mind too.. lol specially thinking that the people around are maybe CAN'T see the beetle... LOL Would look like he's taking pics of the ground LOL

Hmmm... from "golden bug" to "dung beetle"... kinda dissapointing... lol

7. Merlin

You got it! ;)

8. BlackJack

I know it's funny to see me and my camera at the zoo; but I go there between once and 4 times a week, and sometimes I do just take pictures of the plants or water-puddles on the ground -- especially if it's in the afternoon and most of the animals are sleeping (I've got a computer FULL of sleeping zoo animal pics!!)

Merlin, I thought that it might be a scarab-type beetle too. Thanks!

9. BoaBabe448

BoaBabe448 Active Member

Actually, its male.female.unknown...

I dunno where you gotthe colon...lol

Anyways, I think it looks like a scarab beetle too!

10. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

LOL! I'll change it... 8) Thanks! (I don't know where I got it either... haha)

11. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

Dung beetle? In the states? I had no idea there was such a thing....unless of course you don't live in the USA blackjack.

12. Merlin

There are. She doesn't! LOL
    Actually there are dung beetles everywhere with the exception of Antarctica. Other wise we'd be up to our knees in........ :eek:
    And Blackjack lives in Switzerland!

13. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

LMAO! nice way of putting that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.