This Disappears When Logged In

What Snakes Are Fine In Low-medium Temperatures?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by fruitygecks, Mar 28, 2017.

1. fruitygecks

fruitygecks New Member

hey you all!
    i am fairly new to reptiles in general, but i'm also very excited about it all.
    so far, i have three leopard gecko females and three crested gecko babies.
    this summer, or maybe next year's spring, i would love to add a snake to the family.
    now, heating is something i'm having trouble with. my room temperature is usually around 17-20°C, which is of course not enough for most snakes
    i am a little squeamish with leaving heating lamps running when i'm not around, since they become so very hot.
    so, a heat mat would be the heating of choice.
    with a heat mat, however, i can't reach very high temperatures (as far as i've seen with my geckos) so, i was wondering if there were snake species that do well at around 25-30°C?
    humidity is not a problem, i can maintain anything between 40%-90%
    thank you very much!

2. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

If you put a ceramic heat emitter or light in a rheostat or thermostat then you won't have to worry. Many people have used them for many years with no issue. If you really just can't do it they do make heat panels that mount inside the viv. They are made for warmer tanks.

3. fruitygecks

fruitygecks New Member

i'm sorry to reply so late
    i will look into ceramic heaters! thank you for the tip :)

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

We are talking about ceramic heat emitters. Ceramic heaters are something else entirely. A ceramic heat emitter screws into a light fixture.

5. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

They are usually black or white items that screw into a light socket. Usually run 60 and 100 watts but bigger ones are available usually online. Not many pet stores carry a 160w one. How large is your enclosure.