This Disappears When Logged In

What Size Crickets Should Afg Be Eating?

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by gavin0204, Aug 3, 2017.

1. gavin0204

gavin0204 New Member

I bought my AFG, Anubis, a little under a week ago, and the second day I had him, to help him hunt, I placed him in a smaller plastic box with some medium size crickets, to which after about 12-20 minutes he ate 4 or 5. From what I've been seeing he has not defecated, or eaten since then, has no interest in wax worms or meal worms. I also recently learned that keeping the crickets in the cage overnight is not good, so I'll no longer be doing that. I move him from a large plastic container with paper towels with crickets in it, from his tank, to help him hunt, but maybe this is wrong? I also have never fed him large crickets, but I know that works for some people. Help?

2. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

I generally go by the space between the animals eyes as a size marker for crickets. There may be some issues with enclosure conditions and or stress causing his lack of interest. Should that not be the case and he only likes crickets, make sure they are hit loaded and dusted as needed.

3. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

Can you give some specs of his enclosure? Temps and humidity and how you are measuring them. Temps to low can keep him from digesting properly

4. gavin0204

gavin0204 New Member

UPDATE:
    For the past couple days I've been feeding him large crickets, every other day. He tears through about 9-10 of those each session, I've been dusting them with calcium. He seems to have put on a little weight, but overall seems to be doing better. The only downside I've noticed recently is, even at night, he is extremely inactive and sleeps pretty much all day and most of the night. Unless I'm missing him coming out, I've never actually seen him come out of his magnetic zilla medium den (I'll attach a picture). When I try to handle him he doesn't want to be handled and crawls back in. The zilla den also seems to be scraping his head and body, so should I upgrade to a bigger den? Thanks.

5. gavin0204

gavin0204 New Member

Images didn't upload, here they are in order in my last post.

Attached Files:

6. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

Is that zilla gauge the only monitoring device? If so, you may want to invest into some digital ones. You will be able to more accurately determine temps and humidity. As well as locate them lower where he actually lives. If he is not getting proper heat and such he will be sluggish from lack of energy.