This Disappears When Logged In

What Should I Put in My New Terrarium?

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Fraek, May 28, 2014.

1. Fraek

Fraek Member

I have a 30g long tank that I have built a 30 inch tall top too. I put a divider in the 30g so almost half of it is water and more than half is land. The bottom of the 30g is roughly 12 inches by 36 inches.

This was originally dreamed up to be a multi-species tank, having a lizard/gecko and a couple of frogs but after reading up a lot about that, I'm just not so sure anymore.

I would like to hear some suggestions on what should go in this terrarium. Geckos? A snake? Frogs? Skinks? Other?
    The current plan for the water part is to have guppies and red claw shrimp.

My tokay gecko (his name is Contrapositive) will go in here for a little while while his 18x18x24 gets renovated but at the moment, I don't want to leave him in there.

Pictures:

DreamTerrarium1.jpg
    The beginning!

DreamTerrarium2.jpg
    I put this molding around the bottom to help hold the top in place.

DreamTerrarium3.jpg
    I have had that piece of driftwood around for a while, waiting for this cage to be built.

DreamTerrarium4.jpg
    Painted! Someone from my locally owned reptile store recommended I put a piece of PVC pipe in the corner so I can drain water from my false bottom. I thought it was an excellent idea.

DreamTerrarium5.jpg
    This is how I current plan the driftwood layout to be for the water side. All three pieces stick out of the water so if someone falls in, then they won't drown.

DreamTerrarium6.jpg
    Check out that false bottom!

DreamTerrarium7.jpg
    I put rocks in front and on the sides of the false bottom so it is hard to see. And again, that is my current plan for the driftwood layout for the water side.

DreamTerrarium8.jpg
    Plants!

DreamTerrarium9.jpg
    How it looks at the moment! There is only one piece of driftwood in the water currently, the other two need a little bit a work done to them.

Thoughts?

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

you can probably put a small water dragon in it but will need to upgrade later on........

3. Fraek

Fraek Member

Yeah, I was kind of hoping for an animal that I could keep in there it's whole life.

Do you think the water is a problem? I was hoping with all the driftwood sticking out of the water that I wouldn't have to worry about anyone drowning.

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

there really isnt many snakes or lizards who spend lengths of time in or around the water besides water dragons, i mean you may get away with a turtle such as a red ear slider or a painted turtle but then you will also need to provide it with some land which can be done by modifying the tank with s piece of acrylic and some silicon...... But if you re do the tank you may even be able to turn it to be able to support a red eye tree frog or some poison dart frogs as they really do no need the water besides maybe a small pond/waterfall.....

5. Fraek

Fraek Member

I put the big thing of water in there because I thought it looked cool, not because I was expecting to get an animal that used all that water.

I don't see why I would need to re-do the tank in order to keep tree frogs in it. Just because they don't need all that water, doesn't mean it can't be in there, right? Can you please explain why I would need to re do it for tree frogs? That is what I am currently leaning towards.

Thank you!

6. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

well they wont really need or use it and it is something that really wont look right in it, and i think most tree frogs really arnt handling species and they are more decorative animals and i think you would want it to look nice.....

7. Fraek

Fraek Member

Ah, okay. Thanks for the explanation.