This Disappears When Logged In

What Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Dragon2, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Dragon2

Dragon2 Active Member

Hello, I just sadly lost my Bearded Dragon, I have only had 3 types of lizards, a Anole (Only for a month then set him lose again), a Leopard Gecko, I have had her about a year and she is happy and healthy :), and my Bearded Dragon, I only had her a few months and then she became very ill, got better, then she got ill again and within a day she died *cry*... I am now trying to find out what type of lizard I should get, I eather want another Bearded Dragon, a Water Dragon, or a Iguna (I have been wanting one for ever). I am seeking a Lizard that does not need alot of care, I care for them just I just don't have alot of XP in lizards. I might go to a xpo this weekend... Thank you :)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What did the beardie die from?
    Then you most definately do NOT need an iguana!

3. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

Water Dragons and Iguanas need a lot of care. I'd recommend against either one. Leopard Geckos and Bearded Dragons are good pets for beginners from what I've heard. Did you find out why your beardie died?

4. Dragon2

Dragon2 Active Member

We have no idea what she died from :(... We gave her xtra UVB and UVA and a good diet :(

5. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

What did the diet consist of? What were her temperatures? Did your UVB still have the plastic cover over the bulb? Did you have her checked for parasites/other diseases and infections when you first got her? Make sure you were absolutely taking proper care of her before you get another herp

6. Dragon2

Dragon2 Active Member

OK, I have already done my homework for bearded Dragons, I might just get a adult... She never had sand, she was still pooping, she just would not eat, I made her eat some times tho.... Her temp were 110 on her hot side, 76-80 on her cool side, She had all new lights, they did not have plastic on them. She had a diet of dusted crickets, dark greens, bell peper, Grapes, Silkworms, and lots more (Have have done a ton of reserch for her diet so she had nothing that was bad for her, but some treats every now and then). No, we did not get her checked when we got her, but when she became ill we did take her, they found nothing...

7. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

Crested Geckos are adorable and on the easier side to keep.

I'm really sorry to hear about your baby. :(

8. Dragon2

Dragon2 Active Member

I have thought about a Crested Gecko but I am afraid about it geting out of the tank with its little sticky pads... The Tokay Gecko is very mean right?

Thank you :)

9. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

I want a Tokay Gecko really bad and according to my research ... YES. Tokays are probably one of the most aggressive geckos out there.

Tokays are also arboreal, so if you're worried about Cresteds getting out then you should be worried about Tokays getting out as well. Most of the Crested Gecko cages I have seen have been terrariums that you can buy at PetSmart or Petco and they seem to keep them in just fine. If you have the lid on top you can just get latches for it or even just weigh it down so long as you're sure it's totally flat and there are no small holes the geckos can get through.

10. Dragon2

Dragon2 Active Member

Yeah, they are called "Pit Bull Geckos" arn't they? :p

Well, we have a terrarium but it is really big and I don't think one little gecko needs one as big as we have it :p... I like lizards I can hold... Are there any bigger lizards besides bearded Dragons that are eazy to care for?...

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What are the dimensions of your enclosure?

Bearded dragons are not hard to care for! Babies require several feedings each day and more protein than an adult, but if you were to get a healthy adult you should be fine.

12. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

Personally I think it's an insult to Pit Bulls. Pit Bulls are such sweet dogs.

The bigger they get, the harder it is to care for them. They would need a bigger enclosure, more food, more everything. Most of the larger lizards get so big that owners have to build their own enclosures for them.

There's really no such thing as a cage that's too big. The bigger, the better. Also, you could get several female Crested Geckos to share the cage. They seem to be pretty easy to handle and everyone who gets one usually ends up with at least a dozen before long. Lol!

13. mld

With a larger enclosure, you could make a dream tank for a crested gecko! Sounds like it would be a lot of fun and rewarding.

14. Dragon2

Dragon2 Active Member

The tank is 4 feet tall, 3 feet long, and 2 wide... I know, Pit bulls just got a bad name :(, I think Pits are fine :p. I know baby beardeds need more stuff, my bearded was not cared for as a baby (at 8 months old she was less then a foot)... What is a "Dream Tank"?

15. blueginger

blueginger Elite Member

Have you considered a Blue Tongue Skink? They are very hardy.

16. Dragon2

Dragon2 Active Member

I have but I can't find any where I am :(, even when I do they are very high priced

17. mld

Sounds like a great tank!

You could do so much with a tank like that! Check out the enclosure section and see what others have done for their crested geckos.
    Crested Gecko Enclosures

That enclosure would be more for an arboreal type of lizard and not a bearded dragon.

18. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

A 'Dream Tank' isn't anything specific. Michele is saying Crested Geckos would have so much space in a big tank it would be like a dream to them! They would be so happy to have a lot of space to run around and be geckos in.

19. mld

Exactly!

20. Dragon2

Dragon2 Active Member

A Bearded Dragon would not go in it, we have a 60+ gal that a Dragon would go in... Oh, OK :) ill think about it, Crested Geckos eat alot don't they?