This Disappears When Logged In

What Kind or Spider is This?

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by Evozakira, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Found 2 spiders in my room last night. First one is dead cause I freaked out when it was in bed with me. This one I got this morning. I'm in Rochester, MN if that helps.

IMAG0353.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Looks like a common little jumping spider.
    It isn't dangerous.

3. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Ok thanks :).

4. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

We have those here. It's a jumping spider.

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Based on the triangular orange marking(s) on the dorsal portion of the abdomen its a Jumping Spider of the genus phidippus and possibly a female of the audax group, based on the lighter coloration, though I would need a much closer photo to verify.
    Here is a female phidippus audax
    4613243467_e6c1c0e587_b.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Ok vers your picture scares me lol. I fed it a cricket, its fast!

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

They are great little hunters! I found one in my bed a few weeks ago, little guy went down the toilet " sorry I don't normally do that, it was still to cold outside"

8. Vers

Vers Elite Member

They are actually quite unique as to how the hunt, more specifically how they see to hunt. A recent study proved that Jumping spiders base their depth perception off of green light--they are the only known insect to utilize this attribute.
    Take a gander here.

9. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

The first one was in my bed at 3am and it went down toilet. Waking up to that under the blanket got me off guard. Guess they both came in my open window yesterday. Hope there's no more .

10. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Dislike! Jumpers are completely harmless and it would have probably survived just fine outside.

11. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Mine died by mistake. I was half awake and it was on my leg which freaked me out. The second one as you can see survived as I cought it in the morning. It's hot out so I guess its time to go helping soon :). Do they get bid vers? The other one on my leg was double this ones size.

12. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Some species of phidippus are capable of growing quite large--the genus includes some fairly large species, specifically in terms of girth. Some will even take anoles or tree frogs. That said, species that fall under the audax group tend to be small-medium in size, usually around 15-20mm if I recall correctly.

13. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Thanks for the info Vers its very helpful. I was just reading about how they jump and its a pretty cool spider. I will make sure to stay calm and not hurt them if any more show up in my room :)

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Jumpers are my fave group of spiders, and the only ones I have been brave enough to handle yet. I am absolutely in love with Regal Jumpers. I used to see them all the time where I lived (FL). Cute little buggers!