This Disappears When Logged In

What Kind of Substrated Do You Use In Your Enclosures?

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by AjaMichelle, Nov 8, 2011.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

What Kind of Substrate Do You Use In Your Enclosures?

Hey,

What types of substrate do you all use in your python enclosures? I currently have a 15' burm in a 7'lx3'dx2't enclosure on tile.

I've been considering adding some kind of substrate because I can't always clean his enclosure immediately and the tile/grout is water sealed so the copious amounts of fluids he excretes form a puddle. I thought that perhaps the substrate would absorb some of the puddle.

Also, any suggestions for substrate would be amazing!!!

Thanks! :)

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

In the chondro enclosures, I use paper towel. It's a bit more expensive than newspaper, but it also looks nicer, is softer and more absorbent.

In my BPs enclosure I use dissolved humus bricks. Again more expensive, but it smells nice and holds moisture.

3. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I use aspen and it is very absorbent.

4. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I use Aspen shavings. Very absorbent. You can get large bags from places that sell equine supplies for cheaper than at pet stores.

5. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I use two layers of paper towels. It absorbs quite a bit and is easy enough to just replace. Also I know I can feed Maru on it safely!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But you have to be careful with that. A lot of the bagged stuff that is sold in feed stores is actually pine.

LOL! We are talking about a 15 ft Burmese! Its going to take a heck of a lot of paper towels to soak up THAT mess!
    I use aspen in all my tanks and cypress mulch from the garden center is also a good inexpensive alternative.

7. purplemuffin

Haha, I misread! I saw the B and thought ball! I would use aspen or something for that, yeah! LOL

8. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

That's one of the big reasons I don't have Burmese or any of the other large snakes yet, I don't want to clean up the huge disgusting mess the make.

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Yeah sometimes I feel like I should be taking pictures of the messes he makes because they're so unbelievable. The poop he took two days ago was almost as big as my cat. But it's only a once a month ordeal. :)

So I should avoid pine?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. :)

10. purplemuffin

Yes! Avoid pine! Very bad for snakes!

LOL! I've heard Burmese messes can be lapdog size! And I'm already just impressed at the size my young boa leaves me, I can't imagine... lol!!

11. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Yea, my 600+ gram ball python's is the size of cat or small dog's.

12. purplemuffin

Nagini's looks like... well, sometimes I wonder if some stranger is sneaking in there and...:eek: !! LOL!

13. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Somehow i dont think bounty will be a quicker picker upper lol

14. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

You can say that again, lol.

15. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I think your looking at either aspen or cypress mulch. I haven't used the cypress yet but I will be trying it out in my larger cages (as soon as I get them built, anyway, lol). My opinion is that with the cage size you posted, paper of any sort would be impractical, but I have to say I also haven't tried it. I do use paper towels in small enclosures(think sterilite) though.

16. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I recently got hold of some vinyl matting- a huge honkin' roll of it and I rolled it out to the size of my Burm's enclosures and cut to length. This stuff is awesome, it rolls up and is easy.to replace while I scrub down the other one. Before that (the previous 5+ years), I just used LOTS of newspaper. Very easy to pick up, and replace- plus, it comes right to your front door. ;)

17. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I'm thinking aspen. I think it'll make cleaning up his giant messes a lot easier.

I was considering using vinyl but ultimately decided on porcelain tile. :)

18. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

What happens when you use pine?

19. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

The oils and resins in the wood can cause respiratory and other health problems, I know that much. Same as the issues you would get using cedar, but pine isn't as strong.

20. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I have a rescued anery corn snake that the previous owner kept on pine and he has neurological problems (i.e. twitching when touched), but it's not so bad that he can't function.