This Disappears When Logged In

What Kind Of Snake Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Romeyrider, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

Interesting. My albino garter eats weekly, but she's a baby. She has quite the appetite, but she doesn't take live fish yet, so we go with salmon. A bit pricey for a snake, but the dog eats whatever's left, and we get tiny cuts.

2. SomeLizardsInABucket

SomeLizardsInABucket Well-Known Member

Normally she eats every two weeks, but she went 3 this time because we could not get out for food, which caused ME more stress every day since she is still growing. After 4 she stopped prowling the feeding bin and went to sleep.

3. Garters45

I know what you mean. Even frozen, mice don't seem to keep well. You don't feed live, do you?

4. SomeLizardsInABucket

Oh defiantly not. In the begining she got live but only two or three times because frozen wasn't an option. I think frozen keeps pretty well, but we have a more heavy duty basement freezer

5. Garters45

Yeah, with mice feeding live regularly can be dangerous. How do you get yours to keep? We've got a normal fridge, and they don't last over a couple weeks.

6. SomeLizardsInABucket

Yeah, I knew, just there was NO frozen option. I never left her alone while feeding, and still don't, even if she is on F/T. As for mice, a zipper bag with no air, tied in a plastic bag, and placed farther back, where they won't be disturbed. Now, when you say it's a normal "fridge" do you mean like what you keep milk in or a freezer you keep ice in?

7. Garters45

Sorry, I meant freezer. It autocorrected and I didn't notice. Right now I don't own any snakes or lizards that take mice, but I am going to start my garter on pinkies, so I'll try your technique. How big is your glossy? I haven't seen any over a few (three) feet, but I've heard they get larger.

8. SomeLizardsInABucket

She is about thirty inches as of last shed. She normally sheds every week. She grew five inches in her last shed, and glossies are commonly about 42 inches, with some even recorded to be a little over five feet long. She enjoyed giving me a mini heart attack, and now she's laying under her sand, peeking her head out until I turn out the room lights. I also recently became the owner of two cuban knight anoles. I was given a third one for free, but I was sadly a few days too late to save him. Ed and AL here, have a much better prognosis

9. Garters45

Knight anoles? What do you feed them? I've seen anoles at the local pet stores, but they need a very humid environment, so I've never owned one. They are cool looking lizards though.

10. SomeLizardsInABucket

As of right now they're eating dubai roaches and super worms. I prefer them once they're freshly molted. I've tried some other things, including smaller lizards, with no interest to them. While they do need 70 to 80 percent humidity, this can be rather easily obtained with some live plant and some misting. Knight Anoles drink water off of leaves, which is part of the reason they need such high humidity. Mine, even though I've only had them for a few days, know how to drink out of bowls.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

then there is something amiss
    Properly packaged they should keep for months I routinely order 200-300 rodents of various sizes without issue

12. SomeLizardsInABucket

Ah, but the question is, the mice that don't keep for more than a few weeks, ARE they properly packaged? How long were they kept before being bought?

13. Merlin

The point is the statement that the rodents would not last longer. To me that is a Red flag indicating a possible problem with either the source or the way they are being stored.

14. SomeLizardsInABucket

That is what I mean. I belive that they do not keep due to an isue with being stored. Mine and yours keep just fine.

15. Garters45

Strange. I'll order some instead of buying them from the pet store and see how they last. I'm guessing it was a problem with the packaging. Thanks for the help!

16. SomeLizardsInABucket

Fare thee well!

17. Garters45

Yep, I'll need all the luck I can get, :D

18. Merlin

Perhaps if you detail exactly how they were packaged we can help

19. Garters45

They were packaged very tightly, like all the air had been sucked out of them, which was why I was surprised they hadn't kept. I don't remember the brand name, but the packaging was blue and white, and you see them at all the pet stores. Maybe I just got some from a defective batch?

Gk

20. SomeLizardsInABucket

How long have you been getting them? Like have you been getting mice from that pet store for a long while or recently?