This Disappears When Logged In

What Kind Of Snake Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Romeyrider, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Romeyrider

Romeyrider Well-Known Member

I already have a bunch of Kenyan Sand Boas so I want something different. I want it to be in the cage exploring and climbing. I want it to have a good temperament so when I have people over and they want to hold it that it won't bite them. I want it to not get longer than three feet. I also don't want it to have any humidity requirements. Some of the snakes I am looking at are below. Please give me pros and cons! Thanks so much!

Western Hognose
    Corn snake
    Ball Python
    Kingsnake
    Milksnake

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I'm not familiar with Hognoses, corns, ball pythons, or king and milk snakes but I will tell you that pretty much all of those except the hognose are out of your preferred size range, and others like the ball are very inactive and won't do much exploring.
    To be fair every reptile has humidity requirements, just many of the species you listed can fair with either a wide range or the moderate humidity usually in a house. A ball python is going to have a higher humidity requirement.
    I don't have much to say on corns, milks, or kings, having never worked with them, but they're likely too big for what you want.
    If I had to make a recommendation I'd go with a garter snake because they fit your criteria best. They're actually very easy to find captive bred (usually being the checkered species) Garters explore all the time, they're mostly diurnal, and they're very active.
    I have two garter snakes. An adult male and a juvenile female. Both are curious, active, and can be handled without issue. They're active and quick snakes, though, so while they can be held easily I wouldn't do it for long and keep in mind they won't sit still. They're very curious and both of mine adjusted to me quickly. There are many species and subspecies but males are usually about 2 feet and females about 3, so they fit the size range pretty well.

Romeyrider likes this.
  3. Romeyrider

Thank you for all that you wrote. I will keep garter snakes in mind. Though my experience with them is that they are a little hard to handle. I will make the maximum length 4 feet.

4. dp428

dp428 Established Member

I have had a Ball python before and they are very friendly mild tempered and out of the 5 snakes i have owned the ball python was the quickest one to become acclimated to his environment (could be just be the particular snake i had). He also started eating right away, so i had no begining issues with my ball python. although he got bit by a live rat and stopped eating so i had to give him back so they could try to bring him back. So to sum this up, i love ball pythons, but feed them frozen rats or mice heh.

Romeyrider likes this.
  5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Corns, kings, and maybe Honduran milksnakes would seem to be the closest out of the species you mentioned. There are exceptions of course, but balls tend to be quite sedate, and spend the majority of their time either in their hides or just not moving much. The colubrid species tend to be much more active. And the male's often stay smaller, so that might help with your size wants. Can't really comment on any hognose, never had the pleasure of keeping one yet.

6. SomeLizardsInABucket

SomeLizardsInABucket Well-Known Member

I recommend hognose snakes or ball pythons, the "puppy dog of the snake world". If you do decide to get a hognose, make sure it is legally bred, as you know, but what most people don't know, is that the instinct to roll over and play dead is not presant in captive bred, legally obrained species. If you really want to know of its lineage, you might be able to gently haraas it, of course without causing it stress. When they strike, they normally forget to open their mouths, so they just boop you. If the harassment continues, wild species will play dead soon after. Captive bred species rarely do this.

Romeyrider likes this.
  7. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Milk snake size depends on the subspecies, of which there are about 25, so there's plenty to choose from! I know that some only get to about 3-4 feet, I think the Mexican and Sinaloan fall in this category. The Honduran is actually one of the bigger subspecies, but most are either small or medium-sized. Milk snakes rarely bite, as their preferred defensive strategy is musking ;) They can be pretty skittish and flighty, but with proper socializing they tame down considerably. Mine has only struck at me once in the three years that I've had him, and otherwise he's so chill that I could let a child handle him with no worries. He's an adult and no more than 4 feet long, very inquisitive and active.

Romeyrider likes this.
  8. It's not really that they forget to open their mouths they just don't always bite unless it's food.

Romeyrider likes this.
  9. Romeyrider

I am going to go with a Hognose!

10. SomeLizardsInABucket

Well yes, I suppose I should have elaborated a bit better.

Romeyrider likes this.
  11. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

If you are still thinking, I would go with a garter. They are amazing snakes! Very easy to feed, sweet, and great climbers! Hognose are nocturnal, so you wouldn't get much action from them. They are interesting snakes though. Good luck on whatever snake you choose!

12. SomeLizardsInABucket

While they are Nocturnal, they can have their day and night scheduales changed gradually. Of course it will take a while. Of course the type of snake also depends on the set up for the snake.

13. Garters45

That's true. I'm just impartial to garters! ;)

14. SomeLizardsInABucket

Now, I LOVE albino balls and garters.

15. Garters45

My baby garter is a checkered albino! She'll musk you though! Learned that the hard way. Well, learned several times. Lol

16. SomeLizardsInABucket

Yeah I took my Arizona Glossy to my friend's house, the frind who bought her for me as a gift, and she (the snake) tried to musk her (the friend's) dog.

17. Garters45

Poor dog. That stuff stinks bad. Glossys are beautiful snakes! I wish I had more room to expand...They would be at the top of my list.

18. SomeLizardsInABucket

My girl is in a 20 gallon long, for now. She's in her main growth phase, so what she has now should be fine for a while.

19. Garters45

You thinking forty when she's full grown? I'm lucky, garters take a 10 gal to be comfortable. Mine gets nervous in anything bigger.

20. SomeLizardsInABucket

I am CONCIDERING it, but she is CB and CH, and it is completely possible she will get nervous in too big of a tank, as she will likely have never experienced something so large. With it being Monday, and it having been three weeks since she ate ((by her own choice. If she's not hungry, she wont even defensive bite something)) she got four fuzzies. I was going to only give her three, but she lunged like a foot and a half off the ground to get the fuzzy ((f/t)) that I was going to put back in the freezer. I didn't think she would eat it...she really wanted that fuzzy. So now we make sure she doesn't throw it up, but she went into the corner of the feeding container and went to sleep.