This Disappears When Logged In

What is This Thing?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Thalatte, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Now all you have done is confuse me on whether it is a nighthawk or poorwill...
    Either way I shall stop the formula and go back to mashed insects...can I give whole insects if I have small enough ones? Like waxworms?

2. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

The bird looks too young yet to be eating whole prey. I would stick to mashing and adding water. Have you seen it drink from a bowl yet? If not continue to add a small amount of water to the insects. Babies need to be fed every couple of hours until they start to wean. Has the bird started getting pin feathers yet or is it still a fuzz ball?

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

just a fuzz ball with bald spots.

4. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

That's a very young bird, less than a couple of weeks old. Be sure to keep it warm.

5. dankreider

dankreider New Member

I vote quail

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

is 80 warm enough?

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

i seriously doubt its a quail. The head shape and absence of coloration are all wrong for a baby quail. Plus quail arent around in the area he was seen. Its too rural for them.

8. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

80 is good. The beak is wrong for a quail. Quail beaks are longer for seed eating. This little guy has a shorter and probably a wider beak when opening. The beak reminds me of a Tawny Frog Mouth, a neat bird from Australia.
    Thala how did the little one do overnight? Is it calling to be fed? You may want to try putting a small stuffed animal in with it to snuggle against. This will help comfort it.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

He has been doing ok. He seems to do good and then bad then good again.Yesterday my mother seemed to think he was having problems breathing. He had some food stuck on his bill so I cleaned that off cleaned his cage and after awhile he was fine. This morning he ate quite a bit. Then when I got home from work he wasn't interested in food and was shaking and head bobbing and his cage was filthy with feces and a liquid goo. SO I cleaned the cage and him up as best I could and all he wanted to do was cuddle. Then as I was cleaning his tushy I noticed his belly was really bulgy. Then he proceeded to throw everything up. It took him awhile to do so but he finally did. Time to try a different mix then the formula I was given. I had mashed up superworms and crickets in it but Now I think I will just do Earthworms since they have to be easier to digest. Plus I am going to play around with having his cage under tais lights to get him at about 85 on one side.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

oh pictures. 08-07-2013 079.jpg 08-07-2013 075.jpg 08-07-2013 081.jpg 08-07-2013 087.jpg 08-07-2013 088.jpg 08-07-2013 090.jpg

oh and picture of baby night hawk: 5709317448_63be183072_z.jpg I think Twit looks exactly like these.

11. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

If it's a night hawk maybe the nest is on the roof of the shop. These birds are only fed twice per day at sunup and sundown. Is there a way you can get up to the roof to see if the nest is up there? If it is you could put the baby back.
    Common Nighthawk - Chordeiles minor - NatureWorks

12. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

that is not a quail. they are like baby chickens, they hatch and feed themselves. I have hatched quail. it would not be sitting still for you.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yep I will take a look around