This Disappears When Logged In

What is This Thing?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Thalatte, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok so found this chick in behind some boxes at my stepdads shop wharehouse any guesses on what kind of bird it is? It's been named Twit.
    image.jpg

2. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

About how big is it?

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It's rather small. Would fit in my hand. I think it may be a common poorwill also known as a nightjar.

4. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

It does look pretty similar to a nightjar.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

my basis of comparison: it is small, native to here, and has a stubby beak. I guess it could be something else and rather hope it is as night jars arent known for being adaptable to human care.

6. Poison

Poison Elite Member

quail?

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

oh possible. I shall research pics of baby quail.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It is really small. About the size of a golf ball or so. It seems to like the syringe well enough.

9. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

It might actually be a baby quail, it looks a lot like one.

10. Poison

Poison Elite Member

I know quails are every where in AZ. (at least when I lived out there)

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes that's true. But I think it has too small of a beak for a quail plus there are no markings on it and most quail chicks have color patterns...

12. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's also most likely illegal for you to have it. When my kids were little they found a baby bird in the flowerbed after a storm. I knew that between peoples' dogs, and feral cats, the bird wouldn't make it. So I decided to try and take it in and raise it. Everywhere I called to find out what I should do about feeding it gave me the same story. That it was illegal to have taken it in and they would not help. The advise was to take it and put it back in the flowerbed and "let nature take its course"!
    Yeah right. Try explaining that to a 6 year old girl!

14. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

With most birds you can make a nest out of hay and a basket or plastic container and place it high and in a shady spot. The parents will take care of it in the new nest.

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Closest rehaber from that list is 4hrs away. AZ fish and wildlife also said to just put it outside though they didnt mention it being illegal to have so I shall look into that. Also working on a more specific id on it.
    Multiple bird sanctuaries I called in my area said they wont take it and frankly I wouldnt trust them to anyways. They arent the most reputable sanctuaries.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Isnt it once they smell of humans they get rejected by the parents?

17. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

If it's a nightjar you can blend any inverts you have with water and feed it that until it can eat solid food.

18. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

No birds don't care, it's an old wives tale. If it's a seed eater you can pick up baby formula for birds at any pet store or farm store

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

can the nightjar not eat the formula as well?

20. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member