This Disappears When Logged In

What is This Plant

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by HydroDragon, Apr 3, 2010.

1. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Varigated Schefflera?

Picture.jpg

Just wanna be sure this plant is ok to put in my vivarium. Trying to get more plants going for her.

please excuse my half finished kitchen haha.

Attached Files:

2. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Looks like an umbrella plant. I believe it is fine to use. I know you can use it for day geckos and cresteds.

3. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

sorry not sure the name of this plant

but my wd LOVES pothos and so do i, they are near impossible to kill and grow like vines

4. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

I already have a Porthos in the Vivarium. I have 80G of space to fill which takes quite a few plants.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The plant is indeed an umbrella plant also known as schefflera.
    Its fine to use, though it will get a bit tall.

6. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

You can prune these guys down though correct?

Thanks everyone for the I.D. I searched it on google before posting and was pretty sure thats what it was but wanted to make certain.

7. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Your right on the money! There are lots of diffrent species of the same genus for sale sometimes. Like the ficus schefflera comes varigated too.

Attached Files:

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They can be pruned back at the main stalk where the leaf stems emerge.

9. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Awesome, This is a cool little plant, and I already witnessed my RETF using it last night as she explored around. It pretty much fits perfectly in my Vivarium right now. Its still got about a foot of height it can grow before i need to start pruning it down.

This is basically my main plant in the vivarium. As its size will create a "canopy" for the frogs. All my other plants fill the floor and small potters.

I need to still find two epiphytes "air plants" for my couple ledges on the wall. Then everything will be set to just grow grow grow.

Thank you again for the help.