This Disappears When Logged In

What is the Difference Between...

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by themourningstar, Mar 29, 2013.

1. themourningstar

themourningstar Active Member

What is the difference between the various.. species? subspecies? of GTPs? I mean, I know it has to do with the locality- Biak, Aru, Sarong, etc, but what is the actual difference? Also, how does this relate to the price of each type? Im starting to gather info on them, to know as much as possible before I buy them. I found a blue one- literally, BLUE AND WHITE!!!- from a loacal breeder.. Sadly 6,000 is outside my price range. Made me want to figure out a bit more before I make the plunge.

Thanks in advance for the info!

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Chondros are all the same species. There are no officially recognized subspecies at this time. There are different localities (often called 'races') such as biak, wamena, aru, jayapura etc. and they vary in appearance to some degree. There are also breeders working with designer morphs, and as you have discovered they fetch a high price. 6,000 is actually on the low end for some of the designer chondros lol.

A lot of the morphs out there do not work the same way as your typicall ball python morphs in that most are not heretible in a predictable manner. There is no guarantee that the blue and white snake you found will produce any similar offspring. Breeding two with similar traits will increase your odds, but its still mostly luck.

Read this!

Fine Green Tree Pythons | COLOR GENETICS

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So each type of green tree python seems to originate on a different island. The differences in the snakes seems to be mainly in color and temperment. I don't know exactly what these differences are but I do know that Biaks are said to be the most aggressive of them.

I found this article it may help: REPTILE LOVER: GREEN TREE PYTHON LOCALITIES

4. themourningstar

themourningstar Active Member

Hmm okay. Next question- Does anyone know of a good breeder/ site? I found finegtps, but they dont seem to have much available. Im not going to spend over a thousand on a snake- especially not on my first of this breed lol. Id prefer to spend less. I kind of like the idea that Justor's link had- buy a newborn from a bloodline that I like, and hope for the best. How much would a neonate from a good line cost me, if anyone knows? I can get a cb biak neonate on backwaterreptiles for 350 plus 40 shipping...

5. justor

justor Elite Member

You should probably send a PM to JoeyG. He could probably point you in the right direction. Or maybe he will poke his head in here soon to give you some info.

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

heck you guys (and Tia) are doing just fine with out me :) I sent a reply, hope it helps