This Disappears When Logged In

What Is/are the Current Vitamin/mineral Supplements of Choice for Herps?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CTU2fan, Dec 29, 2014.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I always used Rep-Cal calcium and Herptivite also by Rep-Cal, is that still the standard? I've been hearing a lot about Repashy supplements and diets, anybody have thoughts on these?

I don't currently have any lizards, but I plan on a tegu and hopefully some ackies, I assume I'd be looking at different supplements for those guys vs. a herbivore like an iguana for example.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Re: What Is/are the Current Vitamin/mineral Supplements of Choice for Herps

Can't really comment on other brands, as I was out of lizards for a long time, and I now use repashy for all my supplements. I also use their crested gecko diet for my crestie. However, witht the species you mentioned, having a proper and as varied a diet as possible is more important. The issue is that unless you want to do periodic blood work on your animal, you really have no certain idea how much supplementation is needed, or how often. It's entirely possible to over provide supplements, which can have just as many issues as giving too little.

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yea I've never been really big on ground turkey diet or feeding a lot of beef/poultry products, so I'm not too concerned about supplementing food for big monitors and tegus. I'm more thinking what to go with when supplementing insects (roaches, crickets etc).

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Ahh, I see. Well I doubt there's anything wrong with the product your using. I used those in the past, and a lot of the reason I switched to repashy was that I could get it from the same supplier as I was getting my CGD from. As for how often, it's going to vary depending on what your feeding, what the feeders have been eating, and what's eating the feeders. In my case, my ackies get a mixed diet of crickets and dubias, along with whatever other bugs I can get, and some asf fuzzies, and I usually only supplement once a week. So far so good. My bugs also get to eat a decent dry diet, along with some of the same leafy greens and veggie scraps that my herbivores don't use.

5. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Well in my case i'll be feeding discoid roaches supplemented with crickets depending on how productive my roaches are.

Personally I'd rather get the nutrition into the bugs myself, but with store-bought crickets I'd have to supplement.

6. Leolover14

Leolover14 Member

By far the supplement that has given ME the best results is the calcium made by Flukers. It is extremely fine, and my geckos love it! You can by it with or without vit. D3

7. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Thanks, I like the super fine powders when it comes to dusting insects.