This Disappears When Logged In

What is a Good....

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by agama3000, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

I am hoping to get tarantula:)(cobalt blue)and I was wondering what a good starter tarantula would be...I will get a centipede later:) but for now what is a good starter...I want a cobalt blue,or a usambara baboon spider,or starburst spider:)

2. Flint

Flint Elite Member

As far as the best starter invert, I believe the Mexican Red-Knee is among the best. I've never had a tarantula, but that is the one I've heard is the most docile, and you can find it in just about any pet shop.

But here's my advice; Do your research, see if you can hold one before you buy, make sure you're prepared to properly provide for the animal, and get what you want! Tarantulas can live in excess of 20 years! That's too long for a "test drive". If the cobalt is what you actually want, get the cobalt! Once you are completely prepared and know everything you possibly can about their husbandry.

Personally, I'm in the same situation you are. I want a centipede, but I know they are advanced pets. But I'm not going to start with a red-knee or emperor scorp. They are pretty cool, but not what I want in the long run. I'm constantly researching, I'm going to try and find someone with a 'pede around here so I can go see it, and I'm going to start with the 'pede.

Just make sure your future pet will be at peace at your home. That includes the other people living there. If the problem is another person doesn't want a 'pede in the house, then that's a totally different thing you need to respect. If that's the case, I just ranted about getting what you want for no reason and I apologize :p

3. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

I want a pede to but my mom doesn't want me to get one:( so I went to a tarantula she hates spiders but she said I could have one for Christmas or my birthday:) so I should be getting one soon :)...

4. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Yeah my step-mom would have a conniption if I even mentioned any invertebrate pets, so the pede will wait until I'm moved out. Luckily that will be by the end of the year lol.

Well I think the cobalt blues look awesome so I'd go with that. I don't think they are much more difficult than the more "beginner" types either. Again, this is just what I've read, no personal experience :p

Let us know what you decide :D

5. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

my choices she game me was a cobalt a green bottle and a texas red knee good choices considering that that is exactly my favorite tarantulas:):So one of those...probalbly a cobalt

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

The Cobalt and Green Bottle Blue are one of the most beautiful but they are not a beginner T. They are hard to care for and can not be handled. They also hide all the time so you might only see her once a month - if you are lucky, therefore they are a collectors item and not a pet.

Do not get an Usumbara, they are the most aggressive of all the T's and not only will they byte but they WANT TO byte. If they did byte, you get muscle spasms for weeks even months afterwords. Also not a pet only a collectors item.

The Grammostola rosea - Chilean Rose is the best bet if you want a T as a pet. They are not skittish and can be handled. They are very amusing because they build their hide, break it down and start all over almost every 2 weeks.

You can also look at the Grammostola aureostriata - Chaco golden knee, they grow up to 22 centimeters and can be handled.

If you want a T that sits out in the open and almost never hide then you must look at the Lasiodora Parahybana - Brazillian Salmon Pink Birdeater. She grows bigger than 25 centimeters but are aggressive and hard to care for.

You must just remember one thing, T's need misting every morning and every night. You need to put out fresh water daily, so this is not a pet that you can forget for a day and you cant go on holiday without having some one looking after it. If you do, you will have a dead T.

7. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

wow,the Cobalt and Green Bottle Blue Usumbara are my favorite among my favorite T`s...but the bird eater are deadly right...but the others that you mentioned are beautiful:)

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

There are no deadly Tarantulas, the only way that you can end up in a hospital from a T byte is if you have a serious allergic reaction.;)

People tend to think it is easy to care for a T and therefore there are sooo many of them that die. You have to first do a lot of research, buy a couple of books and most of all be sure that your T will have some one to take care of it everyday.;)

If you want a T for show then the Cobalt and Green bottle will not work, they are ALWAYS hiding.

Your mom will never allow you to have an Usumbara if she knows that it is the most aggressive T in the world. Believe me, you dont want one.;)

9. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

well yes but the usumbara is beautiful and she doesn't know I want an usumbara and I knew they where aggressive so I just won't mention it...I knew there where no deadly T`s per say and i have done some research on them all...and yes i know what i am getting my self into...not much...i wonder if they need special lamps and pads of that sort:)

10. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

You just said that you did do research and in the same sentence you ask if they need special lamps and pads?[​IMG]

11. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

LOL...I meant for wild tarantula and I know some live in the desert so I was wondering:D

12. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Agama, list all the reasons why you want a tarantula.

13. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

1.Because I have been looking for some thing that I can handle and I can't get a snake or a lizard ;)
    2. I think I have enough knowledge to take care of one
    3.because there isn't much i can have
    4.not to mention i have been wanting one for long time
    5.that limits it down to the only pet that is not furry(don't want any more furry creatures )that i can get that i can handle
    6.i suppose that i have taken good care of the other animals of mine
    7.if I get one I can't handle it wouldn't matter because I already have a cat and bird I can interact with
    that is the reason.

14. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

As much as I am trying to understand your reasons I just can't. You are contradicting yourself.

The reason why you want a tarantula is because you want something that you can handle. Nobody is suppose to handle a Tarantula - people who does handle them does it only to show off. Did you know that Tarantulas are extremely fast and if they fall, they die?

I am going to ask you again, what is the reasons why you would like to have a Tarantula?

15. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

because I happen to really like any type of spider,and you can't get a regular orb weaver or a crab spider,or at least usually people don't. and I know enough about them to take care of one...they are not deadly and they are beautiful ...so to make it shorter i love spiders more than any other animal,other than a reptile
    yes I do know they are fast...I did not know they where that fragile...

16. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Ok, because you love spiders, now that is a good reason for getting a tarantula.;)

.... But, you must not say that you know enough to care for them, because you really still have a lot to learn. Your statements a couple of posts ago ......but the bird eater are deadly right... i wonder if they need special lamps and pads of that sort .... I know some live in the desert .... I did not know they where that fragile... proofs it.

Everything you said above are wrong and any Tarantula keeper will laugh at you.

Firstly, each and every tarantula has its own requirements, it is not what goes for one goes for all.

We need to establish which tarantula you want - do you want to see your tarantula?

17. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

I want a Usumbara but as I learned up there it is not a good choice, so I want a new type I want a Giant White Knee T. and yes I want a tarantula that will come out every once in a while...and when i said that some live in the desert i was true...Desert Tarantula (Aphonopelma chalcodes)

18. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Yes, but you do not keep them in a desert type environment.;)

First go and find out what type of tarantulas are kept in your area, at the pet shop or where ever, then we can look at each one and see what will best fit you. The Giant White Knee - (Acanthoscurria geniculata) is a good choice.;)

The Usambara is an Old World Spider. What that means is that it does not have urticating hairs and therefore bite.

19. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

well actually the pet shop is shut down and got made a bank so no more pets from this area...but there is one way out from where i live :mad: but I live near a lot of grass:) and therefor I have plenty to pick just encase...I have a big kitten and a bird so do you think the kitten or bird will effect it...

20. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Please don't catch a wild tarantula. :( Firstly a wild t carries diseases. Secondly the chances of it surviving is very slim due to stress. (Imagine being locked in a cage after being free your whole life.)

Your Tarantula will be locked in a glass cage and your kitten and bird will not be able to get to it.

Tarantulas are nocturnal. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.