This Disappears When Logged In

What is a Good Way to Tame My Savannah Monitor

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Brittanny, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Brittanny

Brittanny New Member

I have had her for about 6 months and she is really mean when I even walk by the cage she will strike at me and hiss and whip her tail at me the guy at the pet store told me that I would be able to handle her with no problem and so far it has been a problem ....

2. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

Sounds like you have a healthy Sav. Do you mind describing your enclosure, temps, humidity, and diet? Pics of the Sav and enclosure would help as well.

As far as "taming" try feeding from tongs. Don't try to pick her up, don't try to touch her.

3. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I wrote this earlier on another thread about monitor taming on this site. The only thing I would change is don't feed your savannah monitor rodents. This was written for an ornate monitor, but the concept is the same.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Once again BarelyBreathing, you`re advising someone not to feed any rodents to captive Savannah monitors; may I ask why not?
    Please present your evidence for telling people this prey item is dangerous to their short and long term health.
    You`re contributing GREATLY to the huge ammount of MISinformation on these animals that already exists.... :confused:
    Perhaps you might buy/loan a copy of the Savannah monitor book by Daniel Bennett and Ravi Thakoorydal, or contact those authors for clarification. Quotes have been posted by "kriminaal" (Mike), from that publication re captive diet , yet still you persist with your inaccurate and confusing claims???

5. BarelyBreathing

: rolls eyes: Here we go again.

Savannah monitors don't process fat well, so items high in fat (rodents, turkey, dog food/cat food, eggs) contribute to something called fatty liver disease. A study on the diet of wild savannah monitors shows they do not eat rodents naturally, their body wasn't made to digest them. Further evidence that supports this is the fact that in captivity, the very few savannah monitors who have been lucky enough to make it past five years of age (a fraction of their optimum life expectancy) are fed low fat diets, with inverts being a staple.

That book contains old and outdated information, as do you.

6. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Many members actually speak with Daniel Bennett. The man who did the study showing rodents were not true to the diet
    Also no one is suggesting a rodent only diet.
    Also with optimum conditions they can and will digest rodents. Stefan has asked for your evidence to support your claims.

I would also say that 99% of reptiles period don't make it to 5 years in captivity. That is just how the industry is. Poor information and greed.

7. BarelyBreathing

Yes, savannah monitors can and will digest rodents IN THEIR STOMACHS. Their livers are what isn't meant to handle it.

I have already cited three sources backing my claim.

8. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

I still think we need to get set-ups 100% before we can draw a line under this one, to many cages we shallow substrate that doesn't allow their captive to escape those 150w bulbs put in 4x2x2 cages.

cages with incorrect basking spots, basking spots that just about cover the half the back & so one, once we get that sorted we might see a clearer picture.

I still wouldn't feed a 100% rodent diet regardless, but i see no probs with weekend feeding with an appropriate size mouse & so one, as i said there's a lot of incorrect set-ups out there, even monitor kept in bird cages!! :(

9. BarelyBreathing

I agree with the set ups. That is the number one killer of captive reptiles.