This Disappears When Logged In

What is a Good Humidifier for a Snake Tank?

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by jezabella1982, Mar 7, 2011.

1. jezabella1982

jezabella1982 Well-Known Member

i have a hog island boa in a cage with a metal top. i mist all the time and can NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME get the humidity right! i have a humidity hide, damnp towel on top of the cage, moss, waterbowl under the light......
    UGH!!
    im thinkinkg of getting a humidifier,......do they work, and what is a good one?
    can i get one that will sense when the humidity gets too low and it will turn on?

2. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

What's your substrate, temp, tank size and size of water dish?

3. jezabella1982

jezabella1982 Well-Known Member

Substrate is wood chips.
    have the temp on the basking spot at about 92degrees. The warm side at about 83 and the heating pad is under about half an inch of woodchips, and is turned to medium with a rheostat and that is reading about 113 but thats the temp right on the glass under the chips.
    The coolside is roomtemp at about 70-73.
    Tank is A 40 (something) gal. glass Breeder tank with metal mesh top.
    I have a damp towel with a piece of plexiglass covering about 1/2 of the cage on the cool side.
    Waterbowl is kinda shallow but big enough for my snake to soak in.

Ahh, This is frustrating....

4. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

How has it been shedding? Does it soak itself alot? I tried using a glass aquarium once and will never use one again. I have boaphile cages and racks.... By far the way to go, humidity is locked in, heat is easy, etc... Alot of times the hygrometer used is not accurate at all. Over misting can cause scale rot, respiratory infections and on.... I say if it hasn't shed yet, or sheds in one solid piece our close to that, the humidity is safe, may not be ideal, but safe. Don't go crazy with all that moisture unless you are sure they are having difficulty shedding or constantly soaking

another thing, if the humidity is very low, keep an extra water dish with a fairly large surface area (that increases humidity over deep dishes) on top of the heat pad. You will need to keep a dish on the cool side for drinking. I would highly recommend that over misting constantly. I live in utah and its very dry here and that helped me when I had a similar setup...

5. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Just to add, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Once you've figured out how to get the humidity right, it's good policy to allow 'drying out', as happens in nature. That will reduce the likelihood of mold or fungal problems.

6. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

Yes, misting is just that. Your substrate should dry out. I saw you posted in the hogg forum that you were just getting it today.... I think its panic more than problem at this point, give your system a try, see how it sheds (the first shed after being introduced to new environment can be a bad one) if bad sheds are persistant then consider more options.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Consider replacing the metal top with a wood one. Its much better at regulating heat and humidity. Making one isn't too tough.