This Disappears When Logged In

What is a Good Cage to Buy???

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by jezabella1982, Mar 21, 2011.

1. jezabella1982

jezabella1982 Well-Known Member

I can't make one, so that's out.

I was looking at vision cages, but they were a little pricey, and boaphiles look good, but the guy was kinda an ******* when i talked to him on the phone.

Also.......with the boaphile cage, the install the light bulb right inside the cage with no protection. Is this ok? It seems dangerous for the snake.....

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

No protection is bad. That's a good way to get a snake burned. What kind of snake are we housing?

You could always go custom. Find an old piece of furniture to convert, or find a local cabinet maker and give him some specs. Craigs list is great for old furniture. And old cabinet would transform rather easily.

3. jezabella1982

Hes a 1yr old hog island male boa about 2 ft right now.

that's a good idea, and hopefully one day I can do something awesome like that, but right now, its not really an option, as I need one kinda quick.

I have him in a glass tank with mesh lid, and I am getting super frustrated with it. lol

4. schlegelbagel

Humidity issues? how much of the lid is covered up?

5. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

The boaphiles are the way to go, he was very nice with me, but its breeding/ birthing season for him so maybe he had something going on. The lights he puts in are fluorescent strips covered by plastic, they wont burn the snake. He offers one with an incandescent but thats only if you specify you want that. They are the best I have used, I have his rack system and it is SO much nicer than visions. not to mention better looking.

6. jezabella1982

Yea, humidity is a problem that's why I'm looking for another one.....I have a piece of plexiglass covering 1/2 the top, but it isn't doing much at all.

7. jezabella1982

Its slim pickings when it comes to snake cages
    ESPECIALLY ones that actually look pretty.

I would like to find some options in colors other than black and white.

8. schlegelbagel

I have no idea how handy you are, or what kind of tools you have. What is your light fixture?

9. Leatherwulf

Leatherwulf New Member

If you could find an old HiFi cabinet it would be very easy to convert to a snake Habitat. We have an old RCA model that has been turned into a toy box :)
    We took the old nonworking record player/radio out and have a huge nice looking space with a lid to hide the kids toys etc.
    To convert it into a snake Home all you would have to do is take the front panel off and replace it with glass.
    You could prob find one of these cabinets for free in the paper on in your local Goodwill store.
    Good Luck and Happy Hunting
    LW

10. jezabella1982

Thanks guys!!

I have a incandescent light bulb on the top.....

11. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

Boaphiles come in gray too! I know that burst the color wheel, but its the plastics he uses only come in select colors. I have the black and I think they showcase the animal the best... They are the best I have used for humidity too, I have tried vision cages and they require misting still. The boa phile can go with just a weekly misting.

12. schlegelbagel

Check this out>>> $100 on the local Craigslist.com

Here is a sample of what I"m talking about. Take those doors and remove the inside panel. Replace with glass. BOOM. Snake tank.

[​IMG]

13. jezabella1982

WOW!!! That would be perfect!!!
    Good looking out!!

I'll keep my eye open for one of them. I'm always at thrift stores looking for treasures lol.

Actually, I think I may purchase a showcase cage( showcasecages. Com).
    They look like they would be good....