This Disappears When Logged In

What Heat Lamps Do You Guys Use?

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by pandorasbox, May 9, 2012.

1. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I use this one for my leo's enclosure, the enclosure is 30" x 12" and your UTH should be 1/3 the length of the enclosure
    Hagen Exo Terra Heatwave Desert Vivarium Heater - 10.5" x 11"

I use the UTH with a thermostat to ensure that the UTH maintains a temperature of 90 degrees
    Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R

With this I do not need any other heating device, I have a piece of wood covering the top of the enclosure and use a table lamp for day/night cycle

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

You could try out a full spectrum 75/100w neodymium flood or you can save a bunch of money (in electric) and just go with a low wattage outdoor halogen flood. The downside to the halogen is the overly warm color temperature, which may or may not matter for leopards. A ceramic heat emitter may be an option as well.

4. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I use a full spectrum one from ExoTerra, can't remember the exact name but they only have one bulb that's full spectrum. Generates a good amount of heat too for about 10 inches or so and keeps my herps nice and toasty! But I remember reading somewhere that full spectrum light can be harmful to leos as they are nocturnal.

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Did you make sure to wipe the 75 watt bulb off completely with a cotton cloth to remove any oils transferred from your hands when screwing it in?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The short life of basking bulbs is what led me to CHE's years ago.
    On the few tanks in which I use heating bulbs I just use regular household incandescents.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I use regular incandescents and halogen floods for heat.
    I've begun keeping receipts on the bulbs so when they burn out prematurely I'm going to try to get a free replacement.
    Has anyone ever tried this?
    If they are guaranteed for a certain number of hours and they only hit half that. It should be a defective product. According to the date on the receipt, it would be easy to figure out.

8. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

I don't have the box or the receipt anymore, just looked up on my online banking and since it's not the store I usually go to I knew which one it was...
    Didn't even think of swabbing off my hand oils. Next new bulb I guess I will use gloves...
    My leos terrarium is also 30x12 (20 gallon long), I have the right size heating pad but it does not get the temp up quite enough imo... it is the flukers brand one. I don't feel like I need so much more heat that I should get a ceramic heat emitter, but the basking bulb seems to get it about right and also gets the ambient temp up and serves the light cycle purpose.

The 2 tokays that I got a week ago each have 100 W bulbs exo terra sun glo bulbs for their 30 gallon and 20 tall terrariums. even though they are noctornal, one of them in specific does seem to bask and is doing well and eating several superworms a day plus her crickets seem to be disappearing regurally. the other one ate 2 superworms yesterday via tongs, but refused offerings of superworms, giant mealworms, and waxworms today and crickets don't seem to be eaten. temps are good but she stays on the glass where it isn't that great of temps. thinking I may get a heating pad for the side of terrarium. still need those 2 to produce fecal samples on days I can take fresh samples to the vet!

9. SonnysDragonS

SonnysDragonS Elite Member

Or you could go buy a new one then return the dead one in that box with that receipt... Works every time

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

A 100 watt in a 20 or 30 gal seems like quite a bit.
    You must have a screen top on it.

11. mld

I've never used the Flukers brand but I use the Exo terra on I liked to you in post #2, It gets more than hot enough and that is why I have to use a Thermostat to make sure that it regulates it so it doesn't go above or below 90 degrees no matter what time of year it is.

12. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

Does it have to be permanently attached to the terrarium?

13. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Incandescents for me as well.

14. Mike954

Mike954 Member

I use a radiant heat panel for heating, and a zoo med repti-sun 5.0 fo uvb eventho the brazilian rainbow boas dont need it, it makes for an awsome daytime display light. Another reason why I use the uvb bulb is to provid some V-D3 when he moves around and is in the lighted part of his viv.

15. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry, if double posted, my app force closed while typing, before editing. Swype keyboards are great sometimes, but look like gibberish other times. Here it is correctly:

Return them as defective and get your money back. I use those same lights in my beardies cage without issue.

As far as heating pad, I prop it up to avoid permanently attaching it (though I've had good success with removing others without damaging them). Definitely need a thermostat for them. They should get very hot (I use exo terra desert as well).

16. aeral

aeral Elite Member

I am just setting up the heating/lighting for my new leo today, not getting him until this coming weekend, but I want to do a few trials and make sure I have everything good to go.

I am using an Exo Terra Desert in my tank and it does not seem to go very hot - but I am also regulating it with a rheostat. Even when I turn it up all the way, though, it still doesn't seem to get very warm. I've got a couple of button thermometers sitting on the heating pad while it heats - might just be that the thermometers aren't giving me a good reading. (waiting for my digital thermometer to come in) I also refuse to actually stick my heating pad to the glass (it is attached with electrical tape) so maybe it is that not all of the pad is touching, although it is tight against the glass. With it I also have one of the Fluker's clamp lamps and a 50W "black light" incandescent. Seems like the temp is sitting at about 92-95, so a bit warm for them I think. I'll check temps in the morning too, could be that it just hasn't had time to heat up.

17. mld

If you are using a 20 gallon long 30"x12"x12", then the 10"x11" exo terra desert heat wave should be plenty hot enough. I use this size and it get hot enough that I have to use a thermostat to keep the temps down to 90.

18. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

Did you return them to the store or did you contact zoomed to get your money back?