This Disappears When Logged In

What For This Terrarium?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Elliriyanna, May 2, 2015.

1. Elliriyanna

Elliriyanna Member

I just got an 18x18x24 Zoo med terrarium and would like to find possible options for it

I am looking for something arboreal, non-aggressive that won't dart for the door. I don't want to be forced to feed crickets and I would like it to a di-urnal species, I can provide UVB but species that don't need it would be preferable.

I know its a complicated list and this is why I am having issues. I will research any species that would fit the criteria.

I am mostly considering reptiles and amphibians.

2. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I would think a crested gecko (but I'm not sure and don't own one). I think the cage is of an appropriate size, and I've heard you can just buy rephashy brand crested gecko food-powder-stuff, mix it with water and give it to the gecko (avoiding crickets).

Anyway, with all of the limitations you have set above, there aren't many other reptile/amphibians I know of which would work, unless you wouldn't mind buying fruit flies for a tree frog.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Crested Geckos should be offered live prey such as crickets when they are in their baby/juvenile stage and even as adults.
    Do you like snakes?

4. Elliriyanna

Elliriyanna Member

No snakes, no tarantulas.

And I have a leopard gecko, so we have live feeders on hand. I just hate crickets specifically. Other ( Non - mammalian) feeders are fine :)

I also worry about small animals I have had trouble finding feeders in the past.

Crested gecko's are an option but they are not diurnal.

5. Elliriyanna

Elliriyanna Member

I don't need an animal I can touch BTW, I just want something that won't constantly be at risk of escaping.

6. mshrmheadcharge

You want something that is active during the day but doesn't require UV. You want something that doesn't eat crickets or try to escape.
    Have you considered a species of frog? What about the Pacman frog?

7. Elliriyanna

Elliriyanna Member

pac man isnt arboreal

UVB is a possibility but I could only do compact bulbs.

Every pet tries to escape, but I want one thats not lightning fast.

I have considered frogs. Whites are at the top of the list but none of the tree frogs are active during the day.

8. mshrmheadcharge

Oh man, I missed the arboreal part :).

Well I doubt I can be any more helpful, but I wish you luck.

9. Elliriyanna

Elliriyanna Member

The arboreal is the most important ... I can work around pretty much anything else. Except crickets.

If its not active during the day ... That can be worked around. If its a flighty animal I can be extra careful.

If they have a tendency towards aggression I can just not handle it and find another way to get it out if I need to clean the cage :)

10. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Anole? Smaller day geckos? Obviously depending on whether you can provide suitable feeders since crickets are out.

I can't blame you there, crickets are kind of annoying IMO. I can't wait til my dubia colony is big enough to feed out of, then it's bye bye crickets.