This Disappears When Logged In

What Flooring is Mess-proof?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by salmonella, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

Hi,

I am converting a very nice entertainment center to a terrarium for my beardie. I don't want to chance ruining the wood.

What can I put on the 'floor' to protect it? I'm thinking of using a fitted sheet of linoleum, or large tiles (with or without grout?). Is there anything, besides glass, that won't absorb lizard poop and be easily cleaned?

Does anyone have experience stories of what does OR does not work?

thanks!

2. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

Meant to ask also if anyone has recommendations for SEALING the wood and tile. I don't know where to start researching that... Thank you very much.

3. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Tile with grout would work well. If you don't grout then you run the risk of messes slipping between the tiles. To seal the wood your best bet would be a water based polyurethane.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Linoleum is good. So are those sticky tiles. You can silicone the cracks on them.

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Actually you can also silicone the cracks in regular tiles as well...

6. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

I got MINWAX Water-based Polycrylic protective finish - clear gloss. Is that the right stuff? The vapors cause brain and nervous system damage -- I hope it dries non-toxic. And it's known to cause cancer in California. But we're in Texas.

It says store at 105 degrees or less. So I hope it won't have a problem with the heat lamp. Beardies like it around 100, as I understand.

Is this the right stuff? thx

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

That stuff's fine. Just give it plenty of time to cure. Lots of coats.

And the Texas vs Cali thing... it's because it's only tested in Cali... I would work in a very well ventilated room or outside.

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

While it's curing put the heat lamps on to speed up the process.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That's it! Though personally I prefer the satin finish as it is not as shiny!
    California has a bit more stringent regulations on some things.
    But it is still preferable to use it with good ventilation or outside.
    They are talking about storing it in liquid form. After it dries it will be fine. But again let it dry in an area of good ventilation.

10. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

Hi y'all,

I have two more product questions. I'm trying to keep the cost down on this thing. I found two possibilities for the flooring. I want to be sure these won't be toxic, especially when heated. Does anybody know?

1 carpet runner - clear vinyl 1/2 millimeter thick
    2 commercial tile [armstrong] 1/8" thick

(The first one has a plastic odor so that may not work out.)

Thanks so much!

11. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not sure on heating those what type of odor would come out.
    As for siliconing, it would work. Just don't leave too much when you wipe with your finger.
    Just keep it flush with the tile. Otherwise it will pull away over time.

12. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

All good posts. Make sure that the wood is completely sealed before you put anything over it,(top, bottom, sides) Water/moisture will find a way to get underneath anything and start the rot/mold process. Mold/fungus love dark, damp and warm environments, and it only takes one spot before everything starts to go!

13. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

I applied polycrylic (3 layers) on the interior of the beardie house. I placed 2 plastic garbage bags across the bottom, overlapping. Tile is above that.

Problem is the tiles fit too tightly together. It was impossible to get silicone (GE silicone II) in the cracks. I finally solved this.

I laid the tiles out inside the unit (in their proper locations). I scotch taped two tiles together at a time. Then 'folded' them and took them outside.

I smeared the silicone on the folded end. Then slowly unfolded them to lay them out flat. Some silicone oozed out the non-taped side. I wiped the excess and let the silicone set.

Sorry if this is not clear. The benefit of all this work is that the silicone is inside the cracks only and not above or below.

Just wanted to share!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.