This Disappears When Logged In

What does it mean when they soak?

Discussion in 'Childrens Pythons' started by smallgrayfox, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

What does it mean when a python soaks? Does it mean they'll shed before long, or that the humidity is too low, or is it just something they enjoy doing from time to time? Ky-Lin (Children's Python) was in her water dish for the first time this morning. She only stayed a little while, but I can't help wondering what it might mean, if anything?

2. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

All of the above are possible explanations :)

3. smallgrayfox

*laugh* Well, that certainly narrowed it down for me :rolleyes: Thank you ;) So I guess I just have to wait and see if she sheds, make sure the humidity's ok, and if everything is wonderful and no shed occurs, then she just likes to soak. :D

What is perfect humidity for a Children's Python, I wonder... :confused:

4. Microscope Jockey

You might be able to rule out shedding if you haven't noticed occluded eyes since I think they are most inclined to soak after they've cleared and they are closer to the actual shed. Don't freak out but sometimes snakes with mites will soak frequently, I assume to releive the discomfort. If you are worried about the humidity being too low keeping it around 40-50% probably will not make the snake unwell since I'm fairly certain they are not a strictly obligate arid species. Humidity of greater than 50% to 60ish% is good for things like ball pythons and 60% and up if for animals like rainbow boas that need a very humid environment. I said up to 50% because too much humidity can cause problems in snakes that don't need it and 50% is on the low-average side for the eastern region this country. From what I read when I was intestested in Children's pythons it seemed like they were from regions of Australia similar in climate to some of the parts of Africa where ball pythons are found so I think 40-50% humidity would be perfectly safe. may be entirely wrong but at least I explained myself in case somebody else has another opinion.

5. smallgrayfox

Thank you :) That gives me a good idea of what humidity might be right. I really don't think she has mites because I've had her on paper towels for more than a week and not seen anything at all that would make me suspect mites. She seems to be perfectly clear of those little buggers, thank goodness. :)

6. Microscope Jockey

Usually EXCESSIVE soaking can be a tip off to mites or some other problem. Soaking every now and again could mean one of the other options you mentioned. Here's an example: my boa constrictor is the only "high-end humid" snake that I own and he is the one who is most inclined to soak and usually because he likes to in my opinion. Next down on the humidity ladder is my Dumeril's boa and she soaks very seldom. Next down are the BPs and I've never seen them soak on thier own volition. I've seen them crawl into the water dish like they were looking for something but they never sit in it. They seem to like taking baths if I force them to but they don't soak. They also boycott humid hides like the plague for some reason. My most arid snake is my bullsnake. Bullsnakes are from the central-western part of North America, which can be very dry, and I've never even seen her drink much less sit in her water dish.

7. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

One of my corns soaked all the time when i first got him, which had me worried thinking it could be mites, I inspected him thouroughly everyday, then he had a really bad shed, i think it was past care from where he was living before, cause since that awful shed, his sheds have been great, and he hasn't soaked once, he has since been moved to a bigger enclosure, where his sheds, temps are great, ;)

Sometimes they just find out they can fit in there water bowls, and like to soak I think, i have never seen my BP soak up until a few weeks ago, which got me thinking, why now? but he must of just fancied a soak, as I havent seen him do it since, nor has he shed or got mites, or humidity problems.

Maybe Ky-lin was just havin a bath :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.