This Disappears When Logged In

What Do You Think of My Setup?

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by sweeneyb, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweeneyb

sweeneyb Member

I just finished my exo terra setup for my Manakwari baby GTP. I just wanted to get some feedback as to what people thought. Thank you.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      8.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      17.6 KB
      Views:
  2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

It looks good. I hear some GTPs like "Y" shaped branches too. You might want to replace a straight one, with a Y one.

3. sweeneyb

sweeneyb Member

I have seen the flexi-branches that are my by t-rex and several other companies. I am just not sure how I would mount one of those in an all glass tank? I was going to orginally put one in.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I have seen them made out of pvc

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Very nice.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

you don't have to buy anything fancy - find a good Y branch outside, and bake or bleach it, then you can prop it in there. There are a lot of options available.

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

It looks really nice. It's nice that you have some plants in there. Does the snake have places to hide under or behind them? Our GTPs like to perch under or behind the plants. Can you post any bigger pics?
    The perches do not need to by Y shaped, but our snakes have a variety of widths to choose from. Sometimes our biggest snake perches for weeks on the thinnest branch. I would probably add more perches of different widths at different heights, so they can choose between thinner or thicker perches in warmer or cooler areas of the terrarium.
    How are you heating it? We heat ours with ProHeat heat panels and find them fantastic.
    I look forward to seeing pics of your baby.

8. sweeneyb

sweeneyb Member

I have used epoxy inside to hold the perch brackets in place and so I can change out the perch widths I would like to use. I currently have two different size wooden dowel bars going across the terrarium. I am using 4 exo terra special bulbs as well as a under the tank heater. I am keeping the temperature constant and humidity around 100%. I would like to add a Y branch but don't know how to secure it in place and dont want to risk drilling through glass.

9. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Nice set up. Where did you get your tank from?

10. sweeneyb

sweeneyb Member

I got it at petsmart and set everything up.

11. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I have a few points to make:
    1) What is the temperature on the top perches at night? Heating from below is NOT ideal for green tree pythons because they spend their time perched. It is better to get a heat bulb (covered so the snake cannot touch it) or a heat panel that is fixed at the top of the terrarium.

2) The tank will need to get a little drier sometimes. If it is always kept at 100% humidity, your terrarium will start to grow mold in no time.

Here is a picture of our GTP terrariums:
    [​IMG]
    On the top (inner side of the terrarium) there are heat panels. And a florescent bulb for light. We use paper towel for substrate, but we have a lot of real plants that add to the natural look and help with humidity.

Good luck!

12. sweeneyb

sweeneyb Member

I have the two canopy tops on top with a screen that protects the python from it. The digital thermometer at nights gets into the mid 70s and the humidity does go to 100 at times but also does down to 50 and around there.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If you can rig something with suction cups for the branches, then there's no need to drill the glass. Rub a drop of cooking oil on the suction cup before applying it to the glass. For some reason, they stick better that way. You will need a knife to pry it off after that.

Have you seen these - I thought they looked interesting: Terrarium Accessories for Reptiles: Fluker's Bamboo Bars at Drs. Foster and Smith

14. sweeneyb

sweeneyb Member

I saw those bamboo bars before but I don't think they are long enough for my setup because my setup is 24 inches wide.

15. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Check out the garden centers, I found bamboo in lots of sizes in 6' long stock for a good price. It's easy to cut to size.

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

then you could add your own suction cups to it, and viola!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.