This Disappears When Logged In

What do water dragon eggs look like?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Sideglide, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sideglide

Sideglide New Member

I ask because my dragon has had some egg binding issues and I found a white oblong thing that has a rubbery texture. I bought soil in a bag and am wondering if it is from the soil, or an egg.

Also, how many eggs do these guys lay?? This is a first timer egg layer. Thanks!

2. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Sounds like an egg, but it's unusual that there was only one - have you checked for more? If there are no more try bathing her in luke warm water and gently massaging her lower belly - she could be egg-bound and sometimes this can help. If this doesn't work, and you think she is egg-bound you need to take her to the vet, as if not sorted out can cause serious problems.

Have you noticed any signs of her being gravid, e.g. digging, increase and then loss of appetite, putting on weight? Has she been bred, or are these infertile eggs?

Good luck :)

4. Sideglide

Sideglide New Member

well since this post she has been to the vet 3 times and layed 2 more eggs, each egg was layed one day at a time. She has layed a total of 3 eggs and is I figure just over 2 1/2 years old. I feel her belly and dont seem to feel anymore eggs but I am keeping her on a warm bath regiment for the next few days.

5. Bitis Gabonica

Friends of ours are having the same dilemma with their female bearded dragon, who has laid three eggs over the space of a few days. At first she showed no signs of being gravid, but now she is digging, though still eating. Very strange, and I suspect egg-binding, although it is unusual to lay one egg every few days.

What did the vet say about your WD? Have you provided her with an egg-laying site? - the warm baths should also help.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats the way it was with Zok my iguana's first season. we'd find an egg here and a few days later we'd find another. It took over 2 weeks before she finally laid all the rest of them. 27 all told!
    Its good that your vet is monitoring her. Gravid can be a dangerous time.

7. RedDr4gon333

RedDr4gon333 New Member

My dragon just laid some eggs...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She burried them completely. Dug the hole about 8 or 9 inches, however big the tub was, all the way to the buttom, laid them, then covered it back up and made it look like she was never there. I had quite a time trying to find all the eggs. I don't even know if I found them all. If I did, she laid 9 eggs.

8. Bitis Gabonica

Yep, this is just what our friends' bearded has done - she has finally finished, we think!, laying eggs, and popped about 3 or 4 out randomly and then eventually after a week or two dug in the lay box and laid more eggs, then covered them back up again. We were worried she was egg-bound, but it would seem by her reactions and behaviour that the first eggs were like "premature eggs"! Anyone ever heard of this?

Congrats on the eggs! They look nice and healthy - i presume she was bred, as they are fertile. Hope they hatch out for you, and good luck with her. You've now joined the "proud herp-grandparents club" :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.