This Disappears When Logged In

What do I do

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by zephyr_and_rose, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zephyr_and_rose

zephyr_and_rose New Member

My boyfriend and I just got a new iguana, there is so much info out there that contridicts itself. So could some one please help me in telling me what to put at the bottom of the iguana's floor, some of the information says that bnews paper is good, where as other's tell me to use lanolium. Which one is better for the iguanas, and which one would be easier and better to clean?

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Either or is fine, I use linoleum covered with newspaper most of the time. Once you have your iguana potty trained it will probably be fine to just use linoleum. My iguana is potty trained, but sometimes during breeding season I can't get him out of his cage so I leave the paper their to soak up any accidents.

Just so long as you aren't using a particulate that the iguana can eat you are probably safe.

Oh and WELCOME to HC! (Feel free to ask any other questions, and also you should go out and pick up a copy of "the ultimate green iguana owners manual" by james hattfield III.)

3. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

Newspaper is easier to clean, I use Lynolium in my new cage. I used to use towels in my smaller cage, and I could just throw them in the washing machine if there was an accident outside of the litter box.

I had the same question when I first got mine, The vet told me that the newspaper ink could come off when they lick, however it is not terribly concerning, and probably will have no effect on them at all. Lynolium is just easy to clean, but requires scrubbing occasionally.

If the iguana is litter box trained, then I would use lynolium, if not then newspaper

4. inkman

inkman Elite Member

when my iggy wasnt free roam I used lanolium and it work very well, but some pet stores carry this rubbery mat that looks like a forest floor and I had tried that to both work just fine and were easy to clean, but if you dont want to spend lots of money stick with lanolium but make sure you get one solid piece that fits the inside of the enclosure becuase if you get the squares there is a good chance the will pill up from the humidity

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I use the tiles with a layer of newpaper on top. That way when cleaning is needed you just pick up the paper and wipe down the floor and you are done.
    And the Black and white ink on the newspaper is harmless. Its soy based. I would however avoid the slick ad type of paper.

6. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

Linoleum is a good foundation...especially if you don't have well sealed flooring. Newspaper on top of lino makes for easy cleanup for igs who have not been potty trained...or are prone to spiteful poop painting...:rolleyes:.

7. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Spiteful poop painting??? And I thought is was all done with such love! :D

I agree that either Lino or newspaper works well. If you're concerned about the ink, you can get end rolls from your local paper... they may charge a couple bucks though. Or Home Depot sells packing paper sheets... those are about $10 for 150 sheets (I think).

8. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

You can also buy newsprint at art supply stores 18x24 in for 100 sheets about $6 it works swell for my iguana cage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.