This Disappears When Logged In

What Can You Say when Something So Horrible Happens?

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by purplemuffin, Jan 31, 2012.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I can't say that he at least went peacefully. I can't say it was instant and he didn't feel any pain. Poor, poor kitty. This is why I believe in indoor cats.

Nathan's cat suffered a....gruesome death. The details are graphic and horrific. If you don't want to hear what happened, skip this next paragraph.

GRAPHIC DETAIL////
    He was run over..Well, his face was. Not enough to crush his skull and end his life quickly..No...Just enough for his face to fall off, but for him to still be able to scream and run and shake in pain. Enough for him to live in agony as his family tried to catch him, but he kept running and screaming. They weren't able to even get him until he fell over, finally dead, over two minutes later. Two minutes of hearing their 13 year old beloved cat scream and watch him bleed over the driveway. His father was the one who ran over him. He watched him move out of the way, but he walked back under the car and was hit by the second set of tires. The guilt and pain he feels right now is beyond belief. Nathan's mom isn't taking the death well at all, she can't even handle talking about blood, and she loves her pets like her children, so this...She can barely speak to him right now. She'll come around though, but right now everyone is really suffering.
    ////GRAPHIC DETAILS OVER

I feel so awful. I wish I knew what to say. I loved that cat too, and I KNOW how much they loved him. Nathan called me..in total pain. I mean to be honest, that cat was never their pet, he was more like an old friend who just stuck with them. He was that neighborhood cat, the one who protected the yard more than any guard dog. He just would hang out with his family just like any other person would. One of those cats you don't talk baby talk to, but seems to understand you when you just talk to him like a person. The fact that his life had to end..like THIS.. :( Heartbreaking puts it lightly. It shouldn't have had to end like this.

But hearing Nathan in that much pain, I just felt helpless to help him feel better. I know they will heal eventually, but it's hard to console them when..well, it really was that bad. :(

We all miss you buddy. I'm sorry your life didn't end as peacefully as it could have. I'm sure you're harrassing all the other little animals on the other side of the rainbow bridge right now.

I wish I had taken more pictures of you buddy. You just always seemed like you'd be around a little bit longer. :(

[​IMG]
    RIP Mouse

2. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Oh my gosh, I'm literally crying reading that. I'm so so so sorry! I really think the only thing you can do is hug them and cry with them. I'm truly feeling this loss in reading this.

3. purplemuffin

Yeah, I was crying as he told me the details. What an awful day. :( Going to hope I can help make the next few days better a little bit at a time

4. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I really think that's the only thing you can do. I wish it was easy.

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

That is really terrible--I'm very sorry to hear. I've lost literally hundreds of animals over the years...while I've learned to deal with it better it has never gotten easier.

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I wouldn't know what to say. That is a horrible thing to happen to anyone. Poor kitty.
    My sympathies to you and the family.

7. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Poor kitty and family. Sometimes death isn't a very easy transition and Mouse was unfortunate to be one of those. Sending good thoughts to you and the family :)

8. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Oh WOW!!! Kat, I am SOOOOOO SORRY to hear about this. Life certainly is not supposed to end like that, but accidents do happen. I can only imagine how guilty Nathan feels right now. Tell him his beautiful cat is now at peace and the momentary (a couple of minutes actually is momentary compared to how a long painful disease could be). He is now out of pain and will be fully restored and waiting for him at Rainbow Bridge.

9. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

So so sorry to read this... Mouse on in the sky kitty.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm so sorry Kat! Thats an awful thing to have to go thru.

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Please make today stop sucking. I read this and I cry. Today I pulled a cat that had been hit by a car out of the road on my way to work. He was still warm. Why don't people stop. It was clearly someone's pet.

Kat, I'm so sorry. My cats stay inside. My parents have lost too many cats to cars. I won't risk it. I can't.

12. purplemuffin

I know, we both feel the same way. But you know--it was his parent's cat. Mouse had lived outside for 13 years, his parents didn't want to go through the hassle of making him miserable inside. My parents were the same way and my cat ran away.

We both know in the future our cats will be indoor cats. We can't go through this kind of heart break again. Losing a pet is one thing. Putting them to sleep is one thing.. This.. As Nathan put it, you don't even see that kind of thing in movies.

Today we'll just focus on making the day a little bit better.

Thanks so much for all the comments and support everyone. It's really appreciated.

13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So sorry Kat, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Nathan's family!
    Rest in Peace Mouse

14. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I am so sorry Kat! Coming from someone who has witnessed a beloved pet getting ran over, I am hurting with you and Nathan. Only time will make the pain feel less. We just had a cat get ran over, too. I visit his little grave alot and just say hi. It helps me, maybe it will help them too.

15. Kalira

Kalira Elite Member

How awful. I have lost a pet in a similar way. I understand how terrible it can be. I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

16. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm so sorry for your horrible loss :(((

17. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Just awful! I can't even imagine the horror they suffered watching the cat run around. [SHIVERS]

There are few words that can really console a person in that situation. I'm so sorry is about the best you can do. Let the healing do the rest. :(

18. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh goodness:(((, I am so sorry....That is so terrible, and is something that NOONE should ever have to go through,.... I realize that time will eventually make it better to deal with, but until then, I would most definitely give hugs, and offer a shoulder to lean on, and an ear for listening..Let them know you care, and that you are there for them........My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

19. purplemuffin

Thanks again everyone. I almost sort of feel bad even bringing this up here, I know it's a horrific story and I didn't really want to make anyone else upset. I was just distraught and really needed to say something, and this was a place where I could post what happened so I could process it better. Really just was a bad bad day.

It's still hard to believe he's gone though. But everyone is moving forward. Nathan and I have been writing a story and we're planning on putting in a little tribute/reference to him. :)

20. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sometimes we need to get things off our chest, we are all animal lovers here, kind of like family and feel your pain.
    Hopefully some people who don't keep their cats indoors will read this and learn that this may happen to there's. I'm a cat lover and love my indoor cat to stay an indoor cat, I've seen too many cats dead on the side of the road or beaten up by other cats or dogs. They deserve to be safe and neutering/spaying and keeping them inside will help them live a long life.