This Disappears When Logged In

What Can I Use to Make a Bearded Dragon Cage?

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Blitz, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

I don't have the beardy yet, I'm still setting up his temporary 20 gallon tank. I understand he's going to outgrow if quickly, and I want to construct a retile cage. I said in another discussion I was going to use 2 x 4's and abbit wire, but another member quickly pointed out that rabbit wire was a bad idea, and suggested glass, but I'd like to keep it a little cheaper. any type of wire I can use?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

most types of wire present the same problem: entanglement. You can construct out of wood, even using old furniture, cabinets, etc for a base to start with.

Save the screen for the top where the lamps will need to go.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

And beardies require a LOT of heat, all of which will just go right through the screen. Even glass is a poor insulator, but you can rig some insulation for it at any rate.

If nobody has warned you yet, do not use calci-sand, or any similar product. If you must use sand, use play sand. Better to use something else entirely. Many of the BD keepers here prefer rocks and clay.

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Actually what I said is build it out of wood with glass doors :p

And if you build it high enough you can mount the lights inside the enclosure and that would help with the heat issue as there would be no screen.

5. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

Ya know, my grandpa is a fisherman, and he built a cricket box in a similar fashion to what you just described...

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Something like this only on a smaller scale
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.