This Disappears When Logged In

What Can I Do To Atract Alligator Lizards

Discussion in 'Alligator Lizards' started by socalherps, Sep 17, 2015.

1. socalherps

socalherps Active Member

Hey Herpcenter! I live in Southern California (Long beach) and it seems like everyone I know has alligator lizards in their backyard but mine. I've only seen 1 in the past year and a half. :mad: Does anyone know how I can attract ally's in my backyard? I'm trying to get a pair to breed. Thanks in advance:p Also I have lots of 1'x1' wood boards if that helps

2. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

I don't really think you can attract a certain species but I may be wrong. I think its just luck :p

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

They have a rather large (ish) range of habitats they live in but one thing in common is a good about of "leaf litter" type ground coverings with cover plants or shrubs., a sandy soil composition helps as well but may not be a deal breaker for these guys. Your location in longbeach may also have weird soil conditions that are a bother to these guys, hard to tell with out being there. Water sources are also preferred as I have always seen them within a hundred yards of moist habitat. They like to "Swim" through their range and ambush anything the will fit in their mouths...

Breeding... Problems... These guys are sexually identical until they are venerable in age. Later in life larger males with develop a redder head that is slightly bigger and arrow shaped.... Problem is that I have seen red headed arrow shaped lizards lay eggs, not really red but red, and not really arrow shaped but... Yeah you get the picture... so getting a breeding pair will take a lot of animals to find a real pair...

Still wonder if he par I saw writhing around where males in combat or a pair getting to know each other, cause I swear it is the same frigging dance....

4. socalherps

socalherps Active Member

my backyard has tons of leaf litter and the soil is in between hard and soft. Lots of plants and stuff to hide into. no puddles but if that is significant I can deffinelty do that

5. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

I don't think thats very helpful twords the drought ;)

Naw just kiddin

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

One problem with human dwellings is our lack of environmentally friendly lifestyles. One issue can be the amount of pet or feral cats in the area. Landscaping practices not only of your own but for those around you. Longbeach if I recall can also have water/ground contamination on natural levels as well as manmade contaminations.

So the issue of why some critters like it here vs there would require an indepth study of the surrounding environment and ecosystems. When I was actively field herping I could find an abundance of critters on one slope only to find NOTHING on it's facing slope. Some issues where obvious while others I would have NEVER guessed. While in college doing leaf litter analysis we came across an area that by all records should have had the exact same "bug counts" as a spot 50 yards away, there was next to nothing there. Turns out that 30+ years ago an accident on the road above cause a chemical spill that has been effecting the area.

So if you plan on staying at your current location for a few decades it would be good to do some research and consultations about how the environment is around your area :)