This Disappears When Logged In

What Are Your Hobbies?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EriksExotics, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My family has representatives of almost every allergy or dietary restriction known to man, with the exception of nuts. Nobody can't have nuts, but everything else is off limits to at least one person (Gluten, Dairy, Shellfish, nightshades, food coloring, and even certain spices) as well as having people with a preference (Vegan or vegetarian) so cooking for family gatherings is always a fun challenge. Trying to always make as much as possible allergen-free, yet still tasty. It's a lot of fun, actually, and I have gotten to learn a lot more natural ingredients, and alternatives and substitutions from cooking to accommodate different needs. Though I love eggs, running out of them when baking is no longer the disaster it used to be before I learned some vegan recipes. Now I simply substitute flax or chia seeds and carry on.

Attached Files:

2. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Wow making meals must be pretty stressful lol I'm not much of a cooker. I cook until my food is done and that's basically the extent of my cooking. I don't really play around with spices or anything like that because I have a strict diet and only eat what I need to eat.

Basically I do a two week high protein diet wuth mainly just chicken (and tons of protein shakes) and I take in a total of about 400 g of protein each day, which is accompanied with bodybuilding every day for two weeks, and then I do a two week fruitarian cycle consisting of fruits, nuts, vitamins and some vegetables accompanied with cardio every day for two weeks. Then I do a one week cycle where I do very light exercise every other day and then repeat. I have just recently started this cycling program back up because I got lazy in the winter time but it works well for me and I get really good results so it's worth it

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Gluten free here, it's not difficult having dietary restrictions.
    Being vegan and cooking all of our meals gives me the advantage of knowing exactly what we are eating. Getting all of our summer produce from a nearby organic farm and our garden is even more beneficial. Cooking is relaxing for me.
    As for working out, I have a treadmill and weights. I use them six days a week.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Ok, my turn. I've actually had to scale back or quit doing a lot of the little things just due to sheer lack of time. But besides the critters, I'm heavily into radio control aircraft, along with all other types of R/C vehicles. I also ride atv's when time allows. Everything else has pretty much stopped due to having 2 hobbies already that require a ton of time and money, and most other things I still do tie into one of those two. I like to build, and I build my own cages. We camp, but always when going riding or at a R/C related event. I'd have to be rich and not working to have the time and cash to do all the things I'd like to.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Story of my life! I think many of us can identify with this, lol.

Oh the things I could do with 40+ more hours in a week! and more cash to do it with!

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Like sleep!!! Oh how I miss sleep! an hour here and there most nights just isnt enough!

Though honestly if I was rich I would probably work part time and hire someone to clean cages and the house while I was away. But I would have a fun job like baby cuddler at the zoo nursery or something.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

In my case it would be more like 50-60 more hours per week. And I would be breeding reptile and building airplanes for people, so not having a regular job would not leave me bored at all or anything.

8. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

My only dietary restriction is REAL FOOD... less problems and more healthy :)

9. Froglet

Froglet Active Member

I was been a breeder of endangered species Tropical fish for many years and have been into fish since I was 12, wow so long ago then along cam a Frog and stole my heart. I am down to 1 nice 135 gallon fish tank now and am Building a Vivarium that is the equivalent of a 360 gallon tank - 48"x36"x48". I would like to Keep 7 - Red eyed tree frogs. That is Forty eight cu. ft. Loving the build as much as anything. Won't be done till fall I figured, what with finances and all.

10. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

My frog tank project is still in development. Been looking at a tank size with a 2'x2' base and at least 4' tall. This is more my "perfect" frog home and will be a hobby unto itself.

11. Froglet

Froglet Active Member

I have been intrigued with R/C Airplanes all my life. I am just to leary of spending hundreds on a plane and crashing it on day one haha. Is it hard to learn?

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I would imagine it`s relatively easy to learn to crash them..... :-"

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Stefan, it is!
    My former employer got into those. a few years back. Spent lots of money and effort building it.
    First time out he splattered into a lake!

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I guess I will play. My other afflictions are gardening camping and anything to do with outdoors, as well as music. I am a player of Native American flute, Australian didgeridoo, and African djembe drums.
    At my house the natives are ALWAYS restless! LOL!

15. Precia

Precia Active Member

My hobbies are ballroom dancing, dog training, cooking, and anything strange-food related.

16. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Dog training? Well I guess you could give me some tips for my unruly Havanese, lol :)

17. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Short answer is yes if you don't get some help and try and do it on your own. Especially if you have no previous RC experience. The key is to find an experienced pilot to help you, which usually doesn't cost anything. There are a ton of local clubs, which usually have a designated instructor or 2 who are happy to help. The downside to the hobby is that yes, you will eventually crash. Pilot error and mechanical failure will eventually get you. Still worth it to me, and I always take at least 2 to the field so I have a backup in case I do something dumb.

18. NoahGotHerpsDewd

NoahGotHerpsDewd Well-Known Member

Hey guys! I know I'm jumping into this one late lol, but here I am!
    My hobbies/interests, I love my 2 snakes, as well as all animals, I love working on cars, learning about cars, I am also helping my friend with his build hes working on now, pretty much anything to do with cars lol. A few of my buddies and I rap, I write a lot and spend a lot of time with my friend Alex producing beats. I live in Ohio but a lot of my summer life had been spent up in New England (New Hampshire, upstate New York) when my parents where still together as they grew up there, so I absolutely love doing anything outdoors. I love shooting, kayaking, fishing, camping, and hiking. I would love to start Herping but sadly Ohio's "interesting" reptile wildlife is kind of restricted to Black Rat snakes and Copperheads, so its hard to find good places to go lol. Anyways this is me and what I enjoy, I loved reading all of your guys hobbies and interests!

19. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

And to give you some idea what I fly, here's a couple shot. I really need to get some more current ones. Only one of the helis in that pic aren't mine, and the plane has since been destroyed due to a stupid programming error on my part.

Attached Files:

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I recently read a book called "Fierce food" that might be right up your alley.