This Disappears When Logged In

What Are Your Favorite Reptilian "pets"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grandcandy123, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Grandcandy123

Grandcandy123 New Member

Hello again! I have an empty 75 gallon sitting around, and I was wondering what all I could put in it? I'm into reptiles, and have no real desire for another aquatic setup. As of now, I'm largely interested in snakes, but I would like to know what your favorite "pets" (non-human family members) are? Do you prefer lizards? Maybe snakes? Tell away! :D

2. Schwing

Schwing Member

Out of all my reptiles small enough to fit into tanks, I'd hands-down say that my bullsnake Janet is my favorite. He (yes, "he", as we found out he was a male after we named him) explores his cage all the time, climbs branches, and is overall really fun to watch. On top of that, he is the friendliest snake I have, despite some minor hissing when he's initially touched to be handled. I can do anything with this guy. Bullsnakes come in various color mutations, and get fairly large (up to 6 feet, though staying slender) so a 75 gallon is just what they need.

Have fun looking for your perfect reptile!

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Im a snake guy, and am very partial to pythons, particularly balls and carpet pythons. Ive kept a number of different lizards and geckos in the past, and currently have an iguana and a turtle in addition to my 2 ball pythons and 3 carpet pythons. The biggest thing I like about snakes is how simple their care is and the fact that they dont need a lot of social interaction (or any for that matter). So when im busy my snakes only take an hour or so of my time a week and they are perfectly happy. Then when my schedule opens up I can spend more time interacting with them. The daily grind of feeding and cage cleaning that comes with all lizards has burned me out in the past

4. BoaBoyKD

BoaBoyKD Active Member

Well my name speaks for itself... I've had a couple lizards in the past but I def like the snakes more. A ball python is a good starter snake. I would even do a red tail boa if you want a bigger/more active snake. Even though they have a bad rep once you get one that'll change. I trust my snakes more than people... Good luck with your choice.

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

At this time I'm into Lizards, smaller types. Sceloporus is a particularly addictive family right now :p

I'd set up a 75g for a trio of larger bodied swifts, crevice spiny, Yarrow's, and the like. Although a 1:3 of S. orcutti would do the trick as well :)

6. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I myself am particularly fond of the Iguanidea family (iguanas and anoles)...... my favorites being the green iguana and rhinocerous iguana and they will not fit into a 75 gallon but for a 75 gallon, you can probably set it up if it is a taller one for an anole or two (i would recommend one as they are very competitive eaters and more dominant will bully the lesser)....... but i also love sulcatas.... never had one but will love to own one in the future.....

7. SavyBeard

SavyBeard Member

I have a leopard gecko, a bearded dragon, and a savannah monitor. At this time, my beardy Tango is being a sour puss, and my monitor Kilo is new to me, so I enjoy him a lot :) Of course a 75g would only hold a savy for a few months before he outgrows it, but you could try leopard geckos, or even a Bearded Dragon! Bearded dragons are very rewarding as pets, I believe, even when they are being grumpy :) Anywho, my preferred snake would be a rosy boa or an emerald tree boa, If you can afford it :0

8. lisas

lisas Elite Member

I love blue-tongue skinks. Most are wild-caught, which I don't support, but if you got an adult in need of a good home, who has a good disposition, having one could be very rewarding. They are curious and seem to be social if they have acclimated to humans. Some don't - my first one always seemed stressed. There are captive-breds (Australian varieties) but they are harder to find. Mine is an Indonesian (w/c), but since I got him as an adult and he needed a home, I feel fine with adopting him. He is absolutely beautiful. I'd make sure your skink is a good eater before adopting him and get a fecal check as well. Good luck on whoever you decide to bring into your family.

9. Grandcandy123

Grandcandy123 New Member

I just might have to check out these bullsnakes..

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm a big fan of boas and pythons. A Ball Python would have plenty of space in a 75 gallon tank, and since their humidity requirements are moderate, it would be easier than, say, a BRB, which are gorgeous, but need higher humidity that is hard to achieve and maintain in a glass aquarium style cage.

What you get should depend on a lot of factors:

Do you want a pet that will tolerate (or even seem to enjoy) a lot of handling? Or are you okay with one that prefers to be left alone?

Do you want something that is fairly simple to take care of? or are you okay with an animal that has very precise and particular care requirements?

What kind of equipment purchases are you willing to make? At the very least, you will need lamps and thermostats, but if you really want to go all-out, or are after a species with particular requirements, a lot more equipment may be necessary. Special lighting (most lizards require UVB) special heaters, timers, misting systems, hygrometers, live plants, and maybe even running water (pumps, filters) may be required.

What are the temperatures like in the room where this enclosure will be kept? Most reptiles require a lot of heat, and keeping a cage in a cool room will kill your energy bills during the winter, because you will be counter-heating the cage to make up for the heat escaping into a much cooler room.

Also, consider the ease of finding food for whatever you choose to get. Most reptiles will readily take appropriate insects, salads, or prey items that are readily available online or at most pet stores, but if you get something that only eats snakes or lizards, you may be in for expensive and difficult feeding.

Lifespan - what is the lifespan you are willing to accommodate? Many reptiles live well past 20 years, with some turtles and tortoises passing 100.

Do you have a local exotics vet you trust? sufficient funds for any emergency that should arise? An exotic vet can easily run up a bill of $400 or more.