This Disappears When Logged In

What Amphibian Would You Suggest Adding to My Reptile?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by chadbacca, Sep 6, 2011.

1. chadbacca

chadbacca Member

Hi there, I have a question.

I have an approximate 40 gallon cage which houses a gargoyle gecko. He's fairly new, so I don't think that he's declared himself king of the jungle yet. As far as I read, he's also supposed to be fairly mellow. My question is, are there any frogs/ toads that you would suggest that I could add to the house? As I would really like to have an amphibian in there as well.

Since he spends most of his time perched up on the vines/ branches, perhaps an amphibian that spends most of its time in the water? I have a rather large pool inside the cage which isn't being used yet. I've heard that firebellies don't mind sharing too much, but wouldn't toxin build up be a problem?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

-Chad

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Sorry, mixing species never works out with reptiles. Even if he seems docile, they can always one day freak out and attack the other animal and very severely injure them. I have some of the most docile leopard geckos, but one got into another's cage and was horribly injured(and cost us a big vet bill!) an amphibian would possibly be no match for a gecko's strong jaws! Plus, there are some diseases and parasites which might not affect one animal but would affect the other. In general these animals hate company anyway and would rather be alone.

I would personally get a different cage if you want another critter :)

3. chadbacca

chadbacca Member

Thanks. Since I read that post I did a bit more research online and came to the conclusion that it would be best to not go that route. Thanks for the reply!

4. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

No problem. I actually found this site while googling if I could house things with my geckos. It just doesn't work out that way unfortunately. No reason you can't have more, just kept in their own 'rooms' :D