This Disappears When Logged In

What Am I Getting Myself In To??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ShellsMom, Apr 1, 2011.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Oh, one more gecko option--African Fat Tails..They have basically the same care as leopard geckos, in fact they look a lot like leopard geckos. They are more pricy as they are a little 'new' in the reptile pet world, but if you like the look of those.. they are an option :)

2. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

good find mld!! That could help me out! because that's right where i live and all. But i would definatly recomend a leopard gecko, they come in a variety of colors to.

3. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to the site:) I'm so glad that you and your daughter are both researching and asking questions before you pick out and purchase an animal. You've been given some great advice on beginner reptile species. All of the animals mentioned would indeed make great pets.
    Again,
    Welcome to the site

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

What about a BTS? They are wonderful check them out! :)

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing, or even a fire skink!

6. bballerbrad023

bballerbrad023 Well-Known Member

i will reccomend either a leopard or crested gecko.... that depends wat you like tropical or desert....

7. ShellsMom

ShellsMom Member

Skink?? Oh, my...I'm going to have to see what they are!!

My daughter and I went to our local Pet Smart yesterday. They had both Geckos and baby Bearded Dragons.

I don't think we would be able to interact very much with a Gecko, so my daughter isn't interested in them at all anymore...

We did get to hold and "pet" a baby Bearded Dragon. I know they will be a lot more "work" then a Gecko, but it was so sweet!! The lady that helped us said she knows people that have them as pets and they were really pleased with them. She said she had a friend that actually dressed her's up and had a pearl necklace for her to wear when they went "out"... lol

She also told us that she had never heard of a Bearded Dragon being "mean" or trying to bite anyone.

So, we have finally decided on purchasing a Bearded Dragon. I am insisting that my daughter purchase the start up "home" before we purchase the lizard. The only thing I'm a little hesitant about is the feeding of live crickets and meal worms, and I refuse to feed a mouse (dead or alive) to anything...

:]

8. mld

Attached Files:

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

But you would! They make great pets. They hang out with you. They get rather large. They are just nocturnal so they woudln't come out until the lights went out. BUT you can set them to go out at like.... 7:00 so you can see your fun guy in the evening. They get to be about 8 inches big. Here is a good link to show the adult size of a leopard gecko. Much bigger than the tiny babies you see at Petsmart.
    http://www.herpcenter.com/leopard-geckos/33326-i-am-not-gonna-panic-but-2.html

Its not that a gecko vs a beardie is more work, its just the beardie will take up more room and cost you more for lighting and heat. Be prepared to spend a few hundred on a proper enclosure. He'll also require a more difficult diet of greens and bugs.

10. mld

Yep, bearded dragons cost a lot, enclosure, all the different lights, and the food adds up, they go through a lot of insects especially in the 1st year when they do most of their growing. About 1000 crickets every 3 weeks, and hatchling must be feed 3 times a day, so someone would have to be home to give them their meals. You can't just throw the crickets in and let them free run.

I would love a crested gecko, no crickets :) There are many varieties and different sizes.

11. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

You two should check out a reptile expo. :)
    You can talk to the breeders and gain information, experiences...

12. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I am late to chime in, but I would have to agree on the points about expecting to spend a good bit of money at first. I have been caring for/raising fire-belly toads and african dwarf frogs for a while, and just got my first Bearded Dragon. Since I already had some of the required lighting, it didn't hurt my bank account too bad, but it still cost me $80 dollars for two different bulbs and a dome. Now, the weekly cost of crickets from the pet store is roughly $11, plus the cost of organic produce which is mostly out of season still. I love my baby beardie, but in a week, I have already spent close to $200 on him, when I already had a temporary juvenile tank, the supplements needed, and some of the lighting.

So, needless to say, as a beginner with herps, I would suggest going with a gecko. Leopard geckos do have a lot of personality to them, can be handled, and will be a bit cheaper in the long run.

Also, as Lucy's friend said, try to find an expo near you. That way you can go talk with breeders and get a better idea on the animals. Also, you can usually find groups that sell tank supplies, sometimes even tanks, far cheaper than they would cost at the pet store. Best of luck with your decision.

13. ShellsMom

ShellsMom Member

Mld: Oh my gosh, how your bearded dragon changed!! We handled a baby one. They almost look like they're "smiling". lol

Lord, I didn't realize they could eat that many crickets!! Wow...

Schlegelbagel: Yes, I tried to stear my daughter into the direction of a gecko because I felt like it would be less "work" on her part. (You probably know how teenage girls are...I would be the one taking care of it!!)

We did get to "meet" an iguana this past Monday night. It was so different then what I expected!! It felt like "fabric"!! I was expecting it to be cold and scaley...I was pleansantly surprised!!

14. mld

I know exactly what you are talking about! Unfortunately she is the one who is missing out and now they all belong to me!

15. ShellsMom

ShellsMom Member

Mld,

I tell her that all the dogs and cats love me more than her, because she's never around to love on them and take care of them like I do!! lol

16. ShellsMom

ShellsMom Member

Lucysfriend and gapeachkatie:

We are going to go to the Repticon Reptile Convention this coming weekend in Concord, NC and talk to some breeders.

I thought that might help us make the "ultimate" decision on what to purchase!!

17. mld

Those are know as Day Gecko's and are great geckos but have very delicate skin so they should not be handled. More of a look and admire but don't touch.

18. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Enjoy Repticon, I used to go to the one in Atlanta all the time, but with money being tight I avoid it due to knowing I would end up buying something. :)

The better breeders will be up front about prices and will usually have the records of the animals with them. Also, they are always open about details involving care and enclosure requirements. :) If I didn't have my bearded dragon, I would definitely get a leopard gecko. Some of the morphs are absolutely beautiful, and you will likely be able to see some while there.

As a preview of what you may see, here is a link to various leopard gecko morphs: Leopard Gecko Morphs

And here is a link to Bearded Dragon Morphs: Dragon Morphs

Also, if you go to the repticon website, they have of list of breeder sites for a majority of animals you will find there.

19. Knox

Knox Elite Member

You are taking the excellent advice admirably! Well done on your research.

I will cast my vote for a Leopard Gecko as well for a first reptile. They are handleable, easy to care for, and you don't have to worry about the UVB lights - which have to be changed periodically and aren't cheap.

Welcome to the wonderful hobby of reptiles! Don't get overwhelmed :)

20. mld

Great idea about going to the Repticon Reptile Convention, good luck and have fun!