This Disappears When Logged In

Western Whiptail Sleeping All The Time

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Wolf555666, Jul 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Wolf555666

Wolf555666 Active Member

whenever I look at my whiptail named Whitney. He is always sleeping. Once I touch him he instantly wakes up and moves around for a good 5 minutes before sleeping. Do they do that normally? Info on this species is generally scarce but if you have info share it!

2. Wolf555666

Wolf555666 Active Member

Here is Whitney image.jpg

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

What are the temps? How do you measure them? Is the substrate just newspaper?
    He looks skinny, does he eat for you? Healthy whiptails seem to be bottomless pits. I kept one of these a few years back.

Wolf555666 likes this.
  4. Wolf555666

Wolf555666 Active Member

He eats fine. Temp ranges from 70-80°. The substrate is just newspapers. I did that because it's easy to clean up poop. He has plenty of rocks and other things to hide in. It doesn't bother me all that much but I just wanted to know if anything was wrong with him. I thaught he may be just old considering his size compared to other whiptails I caught and seen.

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

He's way too cold that's why hes being so lethargic. Whiptails like it hot. A basking area of 100 or even 110 is great for them. You didn't mention what you used to monitor the temperatures. Digital and even better an infrared temp gun is the way to go, the gauges at pet stores suck.

Give him a hot basking area and feed him more. Sandy dirt from outside would be a fine substrate. They liked to burrow and once you give him the option to do that and the opportunity to properly heat up I'm sure he'll be active. Mine never stopped moving, always poking around and investigating.

6. Wolf555666

Wolf555666 Active Member

K I'll be sure to pick up a powerful heat lamp next time I'm by the pet store. For measuring the temp I was just using a normal thermometer that sticks to glass.

7. Wolf555666

Wolf555666 Active Member

I did notice just last night he was very active. I could hear him scratching around a bunch.

8. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Those thermostats that stick to glass can't measure temps properly. Get a digital thermostat or ir gun. The lamp needs to be priority, if there's no heat they will die. This is a reptile not a hamster. If he's eating then his food is rotting inside him and it WILL kill him. Get something today if at all possible, even if its just a hardware store clamp light and a flood bulb. (This may even be appropriate long term)

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  9. Wolf555666

Wolf555666 Active Member

I will. I just fed him and he ate fine. I had no idea the food could rot while they digest. He ate 3 crickets so far and still hunting. I completely understand that he isn't something that can be left without proper care. I do have a heat lamp and I think the temp was probably a lot higher than what the thermostat said. Could being old possibly cause the sleeping?

10. Wolf555666

Wolf555666 Active Member

If you guys could. I have to other threads where I ask questions about my other lizards. If you can give me some info on those.

11. Wolf555666

Wolf555666 Active Member

As for amity reptiles's statement on how the food rots inside them. I have kept lizards for years in a cage without a heat lamp. I know it's a little mean but they did survive and grow.

12. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

And unless they were a species that can tolerate room temperatures they suffered and their lifespans were greatly shortened. What kind of lizards were they? Proper temperatures are not optional when it comes to reptiles. It's necessary.
    People can get tricked by pet stores and whatnot to buy little baby turtles and they'll unknowingly keep them in a tiny tank with no heat or UVB. The turtles survive and feed and grow for a while but that doesn't mean the conditions are even slightly optimal.
    "Being old" could cause the animal to sleep more but I think when you give the whiptail proper heat, (and light, if its always in the dark) you won't see that as a problem.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    AmityReptiles likes this.
  13. Wolf555666

Wolf555666 Active Member

I see where you are coming from. The lizards I have kept in the past are mostly western fence lizards and allegator lizards considering they are an easy catch and there are a lot where I live. I have been heating the cage with a new lamp and even put the cage outside in the sun and he still was sitting there with his eyes closed. I guess he may not be sleeping necessarily. But it's what it looks like.

14. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Putting the tank outside in direct sunlight is a good way to kill your lizard. The tank will heat up really fast just like a car in the sun.
    How are you measuring the temp with the new lamp and what are they? It's sounding like the lizard is not just cold and lethargic but very sick as a result of continued improper care.

15. Wolf555666

Wolf555666 Active Member

The tank wasn't getting very hot in the sun. I was measuring it with a gun. Only got about 95 at most but the wood he was on only got 85. It was only for 20 min and I was there the whole time. I am noticing that he is moving around much more now. I don't know if feeding him and warming him up got him to perk up but it sure seems that way! He is constantly moving around the enclosure and sunning under the new lamp. Still closes eyes a lot but still stays upright and doesn't put head down. I seriously thank you for letting me know what I was doing wrong and how to fix it. Thanks!

16. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I'm glad he seems to be doing better. Your not out of the woods yet though, keep working on the husbandry and give him a good variety of feeders for nutrition and he should improve more and more over time.

17. Wolf555666

Wolf555666 Active Member

I will. Now to make sure my allegator lizard eggs hatch!

18. jolynn

jolynn New Member

I need help SAT!