This Disappears When Logged In

Western Hognose Feeding Question.

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by titus, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I know this may be a strange question from someone whos raised as many snakes as me, but I finally found a pair of hognoses for a good price and ordered them. Though, I've ran into some information that I'm not sure of.

A lot of the care sheets I've read (Many) say to feed every 3-4 days for snakes under 6 months, The pair I'm getting are both 5 months. This seems like a heavy feeding schedule to me or am I just thinking in terms of corns, boas, and pythons?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Never kept hoggies but I would just put them on the same feeding schedule that I do everything else, once a week. Then if it seems like they are getting hungry between feedings try and decrease the time.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I don't have any hognose snakes, but I noticed with my smaller snakes (milks, etc) that they do need feeding more frequently for the first year or so. It does seem heavy, especially compared to the larger snakes.

My milk snake tried to eat me when he was the size of a mechanical pencil. At that time,I was feeding him weekly. Upping his feeding regimen solved that problem, and after a few months, I bumped him back down to weekly, and he's been fine.

4. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Thank you for your awsers everyone. I'll most likely try to keep them on the same schedule that I raise my cons on. Once a week for the first year, then every 14 days in the second or when they start taking adult mice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.