This Disappears When Logged In

West Texas Rat Snake - Adult

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by PCar, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Merlin,I always saw it as a nice friendly exchange on opinions,that's so nice about this forum;peoples opinions are accepted,and I understand now your point of view with your last explanation! And Merlin,you are right,I do agree .
    And I also think that most people want those flashy colours and designer morphs as you call them,so if I think about it there is really no harm done to nature!
    Thanks for the good discussion,anyway,LOL! ;) You convinced me! :)

2. PCar

PCar Elite Member

ok, I have been out of this conversation for a while now. But I am back and just got caught up with everything.

Here is an update on the snake. I have had him now for 3 weeks, and he hasnt' eaten for me. And, he is starting to get very snippy. I have kept him "outside" in an enclosure and the only contact with humans he has had is when I change the water or when I tried to feed him last week. Because he hasnt' eaten and has bitten me on numerous occasions, i have decided that I will not be keeping this guy around.

As for Jacky's comments about keeping wild snakes and all. I agree in a way with you If the snake is already on the protected list, or there aren't a lot to be found. If the snake species in question is something that you come accross multiple specimins in just a few hours span, then there should be enough for a herper to take one or 2 in as pets.

3. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Paul,I'm convinced now ,thanks to Merlin,that it is ok,and I'm fine about it!
    Is there really no way to tame him? Give him more time,maybe? :)
    Good luck,anyway!

4. Dawson

Dawson Active Member

I have an 8 year captive Texas rat that will still try to bite when you take him out. They don't typically tame very readily. Thats just the way their personality is. Captive born ones are much better.

5. PCar

PCar Elite Member

that is very true. I had a WC Hatchling that I had for about a year and a half. And, he never tamed down. I still have scars on my fingers from where he tried to eat them. This one did eat for me in captivity, and was a foracious eater. I ended up trading him to a buddy with a couple of lizards for some corns.

Jacky, I haven't released the rat snake yet. Still have him...mostly because I haven't been home, but I am going to offer him food one last time before I let him go. If he eats, he stays. If not, then he is back off on his own.

6. Ebone' Patton

Ebone' Patton Well-Known Member

Beautiful snake, hope you're able to keep him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.