This Disappears When Logged In

Weird Looking Things...eggs?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by musical2one, May 1, 2014.

1. musical2one

musical2one Member

20140501_212145.jpg

So, I was in the midst of feeding my snake and I found these in the habitat. I can tell one of them is definitely an egg, although I cannot tell if it is a good egg because it looks collapsed. Now...the others...what are those? Should I be worried about my snake? My bearded dragon recently had a prolapse...has me a bit paranoid. hahaha

2. avagaddis

avagaddis Well-Known Member

Well, first off what type of snake do you own?
    Yes, I agree, the more egg looking one (haha) is definitely an egg but the others...Now I think that your snake was trying to lay eggs but may be sick..because those are eggs as well, and as you can see they have the white coating but then it sort of wares away so they look deformed. they are bad eggs for sure but they are odd looking...Is your snake eating normally?? If so, what do you feed it..I hope it is okay!

3. musical2one

musical2one Member

My snake is a corn snake...and she is fine; just fed her today actually. She is as active as ever...temperature is fine. Doesn't seem sick at all, or at least not that I have found any indication of.

Are these 'slug' eggs (non-fertilized eggs)?

4. avagaddis

Hm..This is weird and unusual, usually deformed eggs are a sign of sickness, but it may be due to a problem with her digestive track or maybe something just went wrong in her womb, which is very possible. If there are any updates health-wise, id be glad to help if I can:)

5. musical2one

musical2one Member

Thanks, well she looks great right now. Could it be due to temperature? I live in the southeastern US...and let me tell ya, it has been the most difficult thing keeping up with these fluctuating temperatures. Its affected my bearded dragons and chameleon as well...I got heat on all of them too. I'm just amazed she laid eggs...she is a yearling...but is very tiny for her age.

6. avagaddis

sorry, didn't see your slug egg post. Yes, tats a possibility where something would ave went wrong in her womb but im not quite sure I can dosome research for you if youd like and my friend breeds corn snakes so I can give him a call and ask if you'd like..??

- - - Updated - - -

well if she is healthy and that young, it was probably just un fertilized eggs. That isn't uncommon and isn't a problem. I live southeastern US too, and I agree the weathers been very cold and hard to keep warmth on the reptiles!

But yes it may be temperature..her body may just not be adjusting well and may have accidentally laid an unfertile batch but no worries, although just keep checking that shes eating normally in case one (or more unfertile eggs) may be stuck since she is so young!

7. musical2one

musical2one Member

She just ate a few minutes ago...she gobbled that fuzzy up! And thanks for being willing to help...my bearded dragon recently had a prolapse...and I have been paranoid ever since, so if I find anything out of the ordinary it triggers a red flag. I did some internet surfing myself and I couldn't find pictures with slugs this elongated; they all appear to be shaped like grapes. I'll keep an eye out though for anything; luckily my adviser's wife owns a vet clinic, so If I need to take her to vet...it is not a problem.

8. avagaddis

aw im sorry to hear about your bearded dragon! I would be the same way! No problem though, I don't mind helping out..However if you find she stops eating or anything then don't panic, just give her some time in case something is wrong,and do not force feed. Good luck!:)

9. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Those are slugs. As long as she passed the whole clutch there is nothing to worry about. The white looking one may be fertile. Has she been paired with a male at all, or was this clutch unexpected? Any plans on trying to hatch the fertile looking one?

10. musical2one

musical2one Member

She has been paired, but I wasn't expecting eggs this early! So, this was a total surprise to me. I am gonna try to hatch the fertile one, but it looks bad do to the collapsed sides, although I am not sure what a good egg looks like. I am also not proficient in what to do with this fertile egg, so I put it in moss and that other stuff (can't remember the name) that keeps the egg warm - material typically used for leopard gecko eggs - and I read that it needs to be kept at a high temperature (~80F). Any advice would be appreciated, if this egg is good I definitely want to do anything I can to have it hatch.

11. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Oh yeah, those are slugs. As others have stated, your girl should be fine.
    I think we have a guide somewhere on the site for a diy incubator, which you'll need for your lone egg. I'm on my phone right now, so I can't search for it. If you don't find it on here I'll link you to it a little later, when I can get on my computer.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There are a couple of articles under the "Articles" section using the button at the top of the page. This is one for a build it yourself incubator.
    Fishtank Incubator Design

13. avagaddis

Well, the fertile looking egg may still be alive, so I would just take a chance and try and hatch it like you would any egg..Even if it doesn't make it, there's no harm in trying:) Good Luck:)

-Ava