This Disappears When Logged In

Weird Eater?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Jaws9673, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Jaws9673

Jaws9673 Member

So I got a baby sharp albino boa constrictor about a month ago. He ate perfectly normal the first couple weeks and showed no aggression but then he got strange. He would start by biting the mouse(f/t heated with water) and constricting it. But after he thought it was dead he would put it down. At this point I am about 3 feet away watching and he would watch me, if I moved or got to close he would hiss and strike. After I get out of eye shot he would start eating. Has this happened to anyone? Is this normal behavior?

2. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

Not too sure about the first part. But I have a hognose that won't eat if I sit and watch him, if he doesn't see me watching him then he'll eat. If I hover over his tank he won't. I'm not sure why this happens but I feel that as long as he's eating it should be okay.

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

You could've just startled him and he got defensive.
    Snakes sometimes just get like that, especially when young, eating, or shedding. One of my garters is totally relaxed about everything but you really can't move after you give him his mouse or he tears across the tank.