This Disappears When Logged In

Weighing In..?

Discussion in 'General' started by titus, Nov 22, 2006.

?

How often do you weigh your reptiles

1. Never

27 vote(s)
    44.3%
  2. Weekly to monthly

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. More than monthly

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. When they're I'll or in the breeding Season

12 vote(s)
    19.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

How often do you weigh your Herps. All my snakes are alest weighed monthy.

2. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

My kids love to weigh our geckos, and we keep a chart with their weights. It's great math practice, as we homeschool. I'm going to help the kids make a line graph soon. It's hard to weigh our baby corn, as he's so wiggly that one part of him is almost always sticking off the scale, but I managed it yesterday before his feed.

3. Sean Boyd

Sean Boyd Elite Member

I weigh mine when we are going to breed or when they are sick. I also sometimes weigh them for the fun of it.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Breeding or when Ill.

5. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

i weigh snakes before every feed except for the hots. i weigh them once a month cause it is not as quick as the others.

6. Scaley Fetish

Scaley Fetish Elite Member

Being new to the field, I have yet to get a scale, but when I do it will probably a monthly thing.

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

We weigh our snakes after every stool. And sometimes more often if they haven't pooped yet.
    I think it's important to keep track of such things for health reasons and it's enjoyable to follow their growth progression.
    We also weigh each food item before it is given to the snakes and how much they eat is written down with the exact date of the feeding:
    2R 35/45 means two rats 35grams and 45grams.

8. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

It's tough to weigh an adult iguana... a postal scale just won't work and there's the tail factor to contend with (getting an accurate weight due to it hanging off the scale).

Amy, I have an idea for weighing the snake: put it in a sock or pillow case and tie the end. Remember to weigh the sock or pillow case without the snake so you can subtract the weight of it from the total and get an accurate critter weight. :)

9. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I average maybe once a month.

10. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I voted "Ill or when Breeding", but it's more like every few months. I do pay closer attention to the scale though when I intend on breeding.

11. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Steph, thanks for the idea for weighing Mr. Wiggly Snake! Excellent!!

If the iguana likes to be held, you could weigh it while holding it, with you on the scale. (I suppose that's a pretty doggone big "if," huh?)

12. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

The iguana likes being held... but I don't like being on the scale. I get squirmy and won't stay on it. :D

13. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

lol Steph - I am the same hehehehee

I weigh most of my clan every 2 weeks - as I have baby cresties now I wiegh them a little more often to chart ther progress.

the chams aren't too bad for handling right now as they are young so I can get away with weighing the carpets and veileds but the Hoehnelii's onl gets weight every now and then so as not to stress hi out :) :)

14. Debbie

Debbie Elite Member

Well I voted on Ill or breeding season but mine get weighed at least 3-4 times a year, or more if I get curious and think that something is up.

Debbie Miss Zak and BAm-Bam

15. XBurner

XBurner Elite Member

I don't really have an option in those choices, I only get Bud weighed when I take him to the vet for checkups. It's never with him being sick or anything... just checkups. Speaking of this... I should call and get an appointment for soon.

16. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

Ill / Breeding ...

17. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Babies: every week. Adults: once a month. Juvies: between 2 and 3 weeks.
    It's a great way to ensure every one is in good health and gives you a splendid picture of an animal's development over time.

18. Geckohappy

Geckohappy Member

I voted "Ill or when breeding" also, even though I'm not a breeder - and I weigh them if I even suspect a change, it's just not regular like every few weeks or monthly.

19. KJ1081

KJ1081 Active Member

I weigh all mine at each feeding, except for darwin, the baby- he gets weighed and measured each week. I also have a huge binder, and each of my herps has his own section, and twice a day i record temps n humidity, any food fed, any supplements given, soaks, etc. its a looooooong book, but it really helps notice patterns in feeding and behavior. its quite helpful

20. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

You would have to know it would be a man who wanted to know how often I weigh in. Oh, get it you want to know how often I weight our herps. Usually 3-4 times a year, except those who are too big for my postage scale. Then I would have to say when ever the scale says "L" in the digital read out, so I feel good when I step on it. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.