This Disappears When Logged In

Weekend Trip...

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by DwarvenChef, Mar 24, 2014.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

sjeffries_Sgraciboard_zpsa8984192.jpg

The opportunity to get out this past weekend popped up and I dove on it :) I spent all of Saturday just walking (and resting) around a 200 acre plot of land in the oak scrubland just below Yosemite National Park. Sceloporus graciosus (Sagebrush swift) was in abundance on many granite outcroppings as well as up in the large oak trees. I also got a few long shots of Actinemys marmorata (western pond turtle) but couldn't get any closer and they ended up having more hiding patients than I had waiting patients.

Being in less than adequate health to be wandering around by myself I had to let my wife tag along. While I do love spending the day lazing about the countryside with my wife.... Not so much when I'm out "Herping". She would get bored and move about while I was waiting for some lizards to calm down and come out to sun bathe. Something to consider when out herping, safety in numbers but also the issue of disturbing the locals your there to see.

On a couple occasions I used her to my advantage, one swift was up a tree and was always an eye ball away on the otherside of the tree. No matter how long I waited for him he would not stay in view long enough to get a picture. So I sat for a while and whispered to my wife to slowly walk around the other side of the tree while I lay in ambush with camera at the ready... Only he didn't show up... Than I heard him up above me. He had scurried up the tree instead of coming around... the little bugger... But I did have enough lens on me to get a couple shots of him :) Just something to take into account when Field Herping :p

sjeffries_Sgracitree_zps134dab5e.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  2. trappen

trappen Elite Member

That second pick is like finding Waldo! But nice shots!! Wish it would be warm enough to get out this weekend myself but the wife has people from the states on the way for a visit ...

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

That sounds like a fun outing! :) I was recently in NC at my sisters with Chloe. She got a huge kick out of all the Anoles running around in her back yard! Lizards are cool little guys

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Yes the tree pic is a bit of an eye full but when I cropped it down it turned into a boring pic :p So I left it alone.

I started on my bigger map of zones to fine Sceloporus in. The tiny cookie cutter maps used are useless if your actually planning a road trip :p So getting the bigger map with CA's counties and roads marked so I can get the ranges more pin pointed so I can find the more elusive ones :)

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Wish it was warm enough here, we still have snow and are expecting a bit more today. Nice shots though.