This Disappears When Logged In

We Will Have to Give Away Shadow...

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Sk8gal, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I will however, give you props for doing what was right for the turtle. You gave it to a better home and didn't keep it in the tank to "fight it out" with the other guys.

2. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

I was quite little when I bought my first turtle at Chinatown, I was in third grade. As I grew older I began to learn more and more about turtles. All the turtles, right now, however, are in a much better place than they were in Chinatown. There, they were in small plastic containers with little water. They came in pairs, so it was even more cramped.

Last time I went to Chinatown with my family, I saw another lady selling turtles in small containers. I told her they were illegal, and that she shouldn't be selling them, but she ignored me.

3. schlegelbagel

of course she ignored you. That would hurt her business if she admitted what she was selling was something she shouldn't

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They found a loophole in the law.
    The law is anything under 4 inches shell length is illegal to sell, with the exception for educational and scientific purposes.
    I see baby turtles for sale all over the place.
    I doubt any of the vendors are asking to see a teaching certificate.

5. AnnaRW

AnnaRW Elite Member

For all the time I was looking for one to adopt, my teaching certificate didn't find me any that were big, either! I love my turtles, but I think I'm still disappointed that none of the rescue places near enough for me to go to ever contacted me back! Then again, after doing a ton of research, I think buying them from the breeders advice was a rescue too! (He even sold me a bulb that didn't have UVB!!)

It's tough to see all those little ones though that need better homes...

-Anna

6. schlegelbagel

bummer, there is a huge turtle and tortoise rescue in Maryland. They always have someone who needs a home.

7. Envie

Envie Elite Member

Awwww Sk8gal, I joined the site when I was the same age as you! Yeah trust me, you'll definitely learn a lot from this site... I've literally grew up on her. As a matter of fact, some of the moderators were new members when I first joined.

Here's a hint. Experience comes with time! I grew up with reptiles and amphibians my entire life. And everyone makes mistakes but mistakes are just lessons learned in my opinion.

Hopefully this turtle situation is a lesson learned!

About having licenses/certificates to purchase turtles... Here in little old Delaware, you can purchase a turtle with or without proof... Most of the time, all you need is verbal consent saying that you are a teacher... so without a doubt we're really lenient!

8. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

Yup, mistakes are pretty much like lessons learned. I'm just glad I did the right thing to save the other turtles.

9. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

:D :D You joined us last month! ;)

10. nicole

nicole Elite Member

that one through me off to Typh, lol

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

She had been a member once before and forgot her username so she had to rejoin as another user.

She was originally Krazie4pets and she joined in 2004!

12. nicole

nicole Elite Member

oh, ok then I get it, lol

13. Envie

Envie Elite Member

Yeah Merlin said it! hahaha :)

14. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Hahaha!

I thought that was a really funny statement. That would have made her barely 16 if she'd had a birthday during January.

15. Envie

Envie Elite Member

Yeah I actually reread my initial post and wow I can definitely see what you would be confused!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.