This Disappears When Logged In

We Will Have to Give Away Shadow...

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Sk8gal, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

Shadow, the biggest male in my red eared slider tank, is biting all my other turtles. We will have to donate him to the Marsh Center in Torrance or the Turtle and Tortoise Foundation.
    The first time I noticed Shadow biting Sky, so our family and I thought it was hunger. I fed him a bit early, but the biting did not stop. This morning, he nearly tore Soldier's paw off, he would not let go:eek:. I had to pry his mouth off, as gentle as I could. After he finally let go, I checked Soldier's paw, it had a little mark, thank God it did not pierce the skin. I will treat Soldier with some antibiotics for his small cut.
    I figured, if Shadow could do that to Soldier, who is almost as big as Shadow, he would almost surely kill or seriously hurt baby Jimmy, the smallest turtle in the tank. I am thinking Shadow is getting territorial.

I will miss Shadow, but I am doing this for the sake of my other turtles.
    [​IMG]

2. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

Shadow is the one at the left, baby Jimmy is at the right side.
    [​IMG]

Shadow has grown a bit more, these were from some time ago.

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What you just posted is the exact reason we suggest you have additional enclosures handy. You shouldn't have to give your turtle to someone else, you should have had an enclosure on standby to place him in incase anything like this happens.

When anyone decides to house multiple animals in one enclosure, they need to be prepared to separate them as quickly as they placed them together.

Each of those turtles should have their own enclosure or should have one prepared incase anyone else decides to become the dominant turtle in the tank. What do you intend to do when they are all full grown?

The red ear sliders carapace will get to a length of 8-12 inches. The size of an enclosure for one adult RES should be at least 55 gallons though some have stated that 40 gallons can work on males as they are smaller than females. I am not surprised that one of the turtles has started to show aggression. You have too many turtles in one tank. With this one leaving, if your signature is correct, you will still have 3 turtles in one tank. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is not going to be an isolated incident. As those turtles grow, pending you have proper lighting, heating, and diet needs being met, there is going to be additional aggression displayed.

I hate sounding rude, but I really hate reading threads where people blame the animal when THEY have to give it up. This turtle isn't leaving because it is aggressive. It is acting as it would in the wild. It is leaving because you do not have the proper setup for these turtles and the enclosure is becoming too cramped.

If these turtles were being housed properly, he wouldn't be leaving as he wouldn't be biting his cagemates. Why? Because he wouldn't have cagemates.

4. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I am sorry to say that I would have to agree with Rich,, I hear that a lot with iguanas,, I have to give him/her up because they dont get along. Well captivity is no different than being in the wild,, other than in the wild they have somewhere to go to escape the other ones aggression. Caged animals do not.......... That is your responsibility to ensure that all needs are being met.
    I realize you are a young kid,, I just hope that you have learned something from the experiences you have had with your sliders.

5. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

Too late now, Shadow is at the Turtle and Tortoise Foundation.....Where hopefully he's in a pond or something. But thanks for the advice.

Is 15 years old really that young??

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

In the grand scheme of things,....
    Yes.
    When you consider that many of us have been keeping these animals for much longer than you have been alive!

7. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

Hmmmm...Should I be offended?

Well, I've started to love herps this year, so I will probably still love them for the rest of my life. In other words, I have started my love for herps while I am still "young", and I will continue loving them for the rest of my life.

How long ago have you guys started loving/keeping herps?

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Now that the most dominate member of the tank is gone another turtle will likely step up and assert him (or her)self as the alpha and the problem may just start over.

9. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have been keeping reptiles as pets now for almost 24 years.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I sincerely hope not.
    That was not my intent. I merely answered your question.
    I remember being your age and I thought I knew it all. As Will Rogers once said, "When I was a kid I thought my old man was dumber than a stick. What surprised me was the older I got, the smarter HE got!
    Oh, for me, that would put it back about 1963!:D

11. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

12. nicole

nicole Elite Member

No.. you should not be offended. I posted that because most of us do realize that you are young,, I have a son your age, lol. Just take this as a learning experience and learn from it. You have the heart,, and that is good,, now just more studying to gain more knowlege and you will be good to go:D

we ALL started somewhere and made MANY MANY mistakes,, we just learn from those mistakes, and make sure we dont do it again. Just put that same heart and love that you have for those turtles into a lot more research and everything will work itself out! ;)

I dont think anyone was trying to offend you,, just trying to help you learn from this. You are 15,, and still have a lot to learn. I had to take my sons guinea pig from him because he was neglecting it,, as far as I was concerned. Now I have a guinea pig,,, ye haw, lol. :D

13. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

:)Thank all you guys for the advice, you are all very kind. I do my best to learn from my mistakes. Herpcenter has taught me so much:D:)

14. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Merlin, should YOU be offended?! ;)

Sk8gal: 15 is young, but you have a great advantage... Herpcenter did not exist when we all started keeping reptiles. This is a chance for you to really profit from people with a lot of experience. As Nicole said if you put in the effort to learn now; just think where you'll be when you're ancient like Merlin (oops I mean the rest of us!) :D

To your original message: sorry about Shadow, but you really need to start making plans for how to house your other turtles. Check out garage sales for cheap aquariums.

15. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

I really try to give the best for my turtles, but my mom is (very) strict about MY pets... "Only one aquarium in the house, and all the equipment for two aquariums or more will cost a fortune."

So?? It's my money, I do whatever I want with it. I earned it, I have the rights to keep more tanks.

I wish my mother wasn't so strict...

That's one disadvantage about being young. You live under your parent's roof, so you live under their rules...

16. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

It's a pity that your mother is so strict. But if that is the case, you must be prepared to find new homes for all but one of your turtles as they get bigger and start getting aggressive. It's a difficult situation, but you have to realize that one aquarium isn't going to be adequate for your animals.
    (This is the BIGGEST difference between potato chips and herp addiction and why we caution against collecting without adequate back-up terrariums and resources.)

17. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

this might be a silly question, but those of you who know better chime in...

Would the amount of space in the tank help to alleviate any aggression? If so, couldn't she just get a bigger tank. If mom has set a limit on the amount of tanks, I say go for the biggest one around! ;) it might take up a whole room but it's still just ONE tank right?!?!

18. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Shell you are funny,, I bet you gave your mom a pretty good run for her money, lol.

To answer your question yes,, the size of the tank also matters, as they grow and the tank is small they will become dominate over THEIR areas of the tank,, food, etc. The bigger the tank the better the chance they can create their own territories,, but then again that doesnt mean that they wont have to be seperated later on just because one is relentless.

They can be compared to Oscars and Angelfish,, they will dominate one part of the tank and not let anyone else in. Angelfish usually do it in pairs though.

19. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

lol Nicole! I was on the phone with my mom when I read your post... What can I say, if I find a rule I don't like, I look for a way around it... ;)

20. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Actually, Shell, that may be the best solution for Sk8gal. If she got a 110 g tank, she'd have a much better chance of being able to keep two of them - especially as adults.

This is a big reason why it's almost necessary to do your research well before you actually purchase the animal. A simple web search will turn up multiple care sheets for most animals, most recommending the amount of space minimum that it will need as an adult, as well as feeding instructions and other care. Remember to take them as a jumping off point, because not all care sheets are acurate, but they can give you an idea of what you will be facing. Then you ask yourself a few questions: Do I have enough space? Can I afford to feed them and get them regular vet care? What will my situation be in a few years (i.e. will I be moving, going to college, etc.)? Do I have a back-up plan in case I cannot keep the animal for any reason?

This will help keep the pet care in perspective, and show you what you reasonably can and can't do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.