This Disappears When Logged In

We Said Goodbye Last Monday...

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by phearamedusa, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phearamedusa

phearamedusa Active Member

We said goodbye last Monday. The previous week we had him at the vets due to what we thought was a presistant swollen front ankle. I should mention he was 12 yrs old and a cane corso. I tried aspirin and cold compresses thinking it was arthritis given his age. I didn't think it was anything serious until he started to favor it. Well the news couldn't have been worse for me. My baby had appendicular osteo-sarcoma, in laymans terms it means bone cancer of the extremities. Options are very limited, and there is no cure. It is a painful disease, that eats away at the bone, and its aggressive. We tried pain meds for a week, with success, and we researched the disease some more on the web. We decided after our research and searching our hearts it was more humane to end his suffering.
    I know he's in a better place, playing with his sister Phearamedusa in the big field in the sky, but I miss my baby....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] You can see the "swelling" in the last two pictures.

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

So sorry to hear about that. :( Beautiful dog though. I've only ever seen one Cane Corso in person. Sweet dog.

3. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I'm sorry

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

AWWW!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your loss!

5. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Losing a loved one is never easy, however I believe you did the right thing by ending his suffering. I am sure he met his eternal rest knowing you truly loved him and wanted the best for him. My prayers go out to you.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It's always terrible to lose a companion - what's even worse is knowing nothing could have changed it. You made the right choice.

7. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I am really sorry to hear, good luck!:(

8. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I am sorry for your loss :(

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm sorry for you!
    Sometimes its just the thing you have to do!

10. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I am so sorry for the loss of your treasured friend. Have you ever read, "A Dog's Plea?" I think it applies to your situation. I can PM you the whole text if you would like...
    And, my friend, when I am very old and I no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight,
    Do not make heroic efforts to keep me going.
    I am not having any fun.
    Please see to it that my life is taken gently.
    I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw
    That my fate was always safest in your hands.
    Author Unknown

11. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

12. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Sorry for your loss. It is never easy losing a close friend and companion.

13. phearamedusa

phearamedusa Active Member

I know it was the right choice, I would have preferred his passing in his sleep. It didn't happen that way, I did what needed to be done. I don't regret my choice.

Thank you all for the kind words, I know he's in a good place, and that I'll see him again.

14. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Yes, you made the right choice. I'm sorry you had to make it, as it is never ever easy!

{{HUGS}}

This is the hard part of bringing a pet into your heart. Just try to keep remembering all the wonderful times, and the fact that you loved him enough to be able to be there during the most difficult times, too.

15. kiraturmc

kiraturmc Elite Member

Oh honey... I'm SO sorry. I lost a dog to the same insidious disease 5 years ago. We tried chemo, pain meds, and the actually worked for a while. Then, she died at home of a stroke. It was devastating, but a "side effect" no one had bothered to mention.

I'm SO, SO SORRY. Know that our thoughts are with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.