This Disappears When Logged In

We Beat HR669!!

Discussion in 'Reptile Law - Legal News' started by David McConley, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If someone sees it and turns you in. If you have an emergency at your home and the emergency people see it. Also if it gets sick who is going to treat it? A vet would loose their license for treating an illegal species and not reporting it.

And if they have their way and the live animal market dries up, so will the availabilty of supplies.

3. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Elite Member

oh ok, so basically then I would have to get rid of all of my aquatic animals then since I've got a puffer fish from asia, toads from asia, and frogs from africa. I really hope this won't pass in the future.

4. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Elite Member

question though for vets treating illegal species. I work at a vet and people bring in ferrets to get treated, (which are illegal in california) and nothing has happened to there liscense. Would it be different story if this ban passes?

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I think of all my pets, the only species that is native to this continent is my Mississippi Map Turtle - so I'd have to find something to do with all my pythons, boas, fish, gerbils etc.

As if I'd give them up.

According to the article, even AZA blasted the bill, because it had no provisions to allow for display animals in zoos and other educational institutions - and AZA even said that requiring permits would make it extremely troublesome for even zoos to maintain their collections.

I really hope nothing ever comes of this without a lot of serious revisions to that bill.

6. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I really hope that this is going to go away but I don't think it will. I did say in a previous post on this thread that our victory was a possibly short lived one. I also stated that it could be raised again under a different bill as it would have to be totally rewitten from the ground up. As a result we as owners of exotics need to keep vigilant, and we need to keep our voices in the forefront of this matter. The information is on the website United States Association of Reptile Keepers - USARK. People also have to remember that this does not only affect reptile and amphibian keepers but ALL exotics--herps,fish,birds and mammals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.